BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DraftKings Inc., the world’s largest daily fantasy sports (DFS) platform, today announced that its DFS product is now live and available in Australia. Starting today, customers in Australia can test their sports knowledge and DFS skills against players locally and from North America and Europe.
“DraftKings’ DFS product takes sports fans’ game experience to another level, keeping them more engaged with their favourite athletes, teams and codes,” said DraftKings Chief International Officer, Jeffrey Haas. “Australia is home to some of the most passionate sports fans in the world and that’s a key reason why DraftKings decided to open there. We’re confident Australians will enjoy the exciting and innovative competition formats we have available across ten international sports, and their ability to compete against other people, both local and international.”
DraftKings’ Australian expansion is underpinned by its success in North America and Europe and marks the eighth country where DraftKings is available to consumers. The company expects that its soccer product in particular will be popular given Australia’s qualification for the FIFA World Cup 2018.
About Daily Fantasy Sports
- Fantasy sports, both in the traditional season-long and daily or weekly format, are a contest of skill. DFS are similar to season-long fantasy sports with the key exception that the entire contest starts and ends in a much shorter time frame.
- Contests range from a single day to one week depending on the sport, and users pick a team of players based on a salary cap and those players earn points based on their in-game performance.
Customers can choose to enter from a full suite of contests made for
- Beginner only contests: Only “beginner and casual customers” can participate.
- Casual contests: Available to any user who doesn’t have a Highly Experienced Player (HEP) badge; this is typically acquired when a user plays in 500 contests.
- Leagues: The first-of-its-kind private, customized contest for individuals to play with friends and family.
For more information on DraftKings, please visit: www.draftkings.com.au
DraftKings is an innovative sports-tech and media entertainment platform changing the way consumers engage with their favorite sports, teams and athletes by bringing fans closer to the game. Headquartered in Boston, MA, DraftKings offers daily and weekly fantasy sports contests across 10 professional sports in the U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, Malta, Germany, Ireland, Austria and operates in Australia under a licence issued to the Australian subsidiary, DraftKings Australia Pty Limited by the Northern Territory Racing Commission. Founded in 2012 by Matt Kalish, Paul Liberman and Jason Robins, DraftKings makes sports better and better sports fans by creating the ‘Game Inside the Game.’