PITTSBURGH--(BUSINESS WIRE)--American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE: AEO) is proud to announce its sixth annual AEO “Better World Community Day” taking place on Friday, May 11, 2018. More than 1,500 associates from American Eagle Outfitters’ corporate offices and distribution centers, will volunteer their time and give back to local communities in Pittsburgh, New York City, San Francisco, Hazleton (PA), and Ottawa (KS), as well as internationally in Hong Kong, China, Mexico and Canada.
Associates from AEO’s Corporate Headquarters in Pittsburgh, will partner with local nonprofits in the Greater Pittsburgh area to take part in a variety of charitable activities. Organized by Pittsburgh Cares, some of these projects will include:
- Bike Buddies: Volunteers will assist students from Arlington Elementary School to build a bike of their own and help teach bike safety. Location: 77 Hot Metal Street, Pittsburgh
- 412 Food Rescue: Volunteers will pack take-home bags of various food items and deliver them directly to nearby schools as part of the “Backpack Project.” This program provides food on Fridays for students who do not have enough to eat at home over the weekend. Location: 77 Hot Metal Street, Pittsburgh
- Clean-Up Paddle: In partnership with Venture Outdoors and Kayak Pittsburgh, volunteers will kayak and pick up trash along the banks of the Allegheny River. Location: North Shore near PNC Park / 1 Federal Street, Pittsburgh
- Bring Back the Bees: Working with Burgh Bees, Pittsburgh’s only community apiary, volunteers will create garden beds, build native pollinator bee boxes and learn about the importance of bees in our ecosystem. Location: 6933 Susquehanna Street, Pittsburgh
- Weird Science: Volunteers will accompany first grade students from Manchester Academic Charter School on a field trip to the Carnegie Science Center. Location: Carnegie Science Center / 1 Allegheny Avenue, Pittsburgh
- Go Back to Camp: Volunteers will landscape, work on trail bridges, and paint and split logs at Camp Guyasuta to ensure the site is ready for student campers over the summer. Location: 300 23rd Street Ext., Sharpsburg, PA
- Providing a Home Away from Home: In partnership with Family House, volunteers will prepare breakfast for residents, landscape and beautify the grounds. Location: 5245 Centre Avenue, Pittsburgh
- Get Growing: Volunteers will work alongside students from Mars Home for Youth to prepare garden beds and new outdoor learning experiences. Location: 521 Route 228, Mars, PA
In total, AEO associates will partner with more than 35 nonprofit organizations across the globe. AEO will provide a charitable contribution to each participating organization.
“Community Day is a tradition that our associates look forward to every year,” said Fred Grover, Executive Vice President, AEO Corporation and President of the American Eagle Outfitters Foundation. “Giving back is part of AEO’s corporate culture, and volunteering in a meaningful way enriches the communities where we operate.”
AEO and the AEO Foundation are committed to ensuring the communities where it has a corporate presence are vibrant places to live, work and play.
- Since the launch of the first Community Day in 2013, AEO associates have logged more than 20,000 volunteer hours during this annual day of service.
- Last year, AEO donated nearly $3 million to charities that support causes such as youth empowerment and education, young women’s health, equality and the environment.
- AEO encourages its associates to give back on a continual basis with volunteer time off, service grants and group volunteer activities.
- Additionally, AEO’s field teams engage with their local communities through volunteerism and a grant program that offers a $2,500 contribution to an organization of its choosing, in each of the 100 districts across the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
About American Eagle Outfitters, Inc.
American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE: AEO) is a leading global specialty retailer offering high-quality, on-trend clothing, accessories and personal care products at affordable prices under its American Eagle Outfitters® and Aerie® brands. The company operates more than 1,000 stores in the United States, Canada, Mexico, China and Hong Kong, and ships to 81 countries worldwide through its websites. American Eagle Outfitters and Aerie merchandise also is available at more than 200 international locations operated by licensees in 25 countries. For more information, please visit www.ae.com.