SAN FRANCISCO--RED HAT SUMMIT 2018--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE:RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced that Lufthansa Technik, a leading provider of aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul services, has moved to a hybrid cloud infrastructure based on Red Hat’s enterprise-grade open source technologies running on Azure, Microsoft’s public cloud. Collaborating with Red Hat, Lufthansa Technik created AVIATAR - an open platform helping to enable aviation industry customers to better work together and provide digital offerings designed to improve the overall customer experience. With Red Hat’s Linux container and automation technologies paired with agile DevOps processes, Lufthansa Technik can develop and deploy new applications more quickly and foster integration between internal infrastructure and third-party solutions.
As digital transformation begins to take hold in the enterprise world, the aviation industry faces increasing challenges, from the growing technical capabilities of modern aircraft to evolving, complex customer needs. Recognizing the need for innovation to remain competitive in this changing environment, Lufthansa Technik sought to be at the forefront of digital aviation technologies that could improve customer experience, as well as create new business opportunities.
The company seeks to do so with AVIATAR, a new product division developed from scratch. AVIATAR is an open and collaborative platform for partners, clients and developers that offers a variety of digital products and services by gathering multiple apps in one place. AVIATAR was designed to help make airline operations safer and more reliable, helping to lead to fewer delayed or canceled flights, fewer technical diversions and a smoother travel experience for passengers.
Lufthansa Technik set up a hybrid cloud environment using both Azure and on-premise infrastructure to run AVIATAR's application services. This enables the company to more quickly deploy new components and provide a public cloud option for AVIATAR users. Along with a software stack from Red Hat, Lufthansa Technik is embracing an open and vendor-independent architecture with a vision for a multicloud scenario. Lifthansa Technik’s AVIATAR platform was created using:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux as the flexible operating system, providing a robust, enterprise-grade Linux platform.
- Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, running on Azure, designed to support the AVIATAR’s agile, DevOps approach of continuous improvement. Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform also helps Lufthansa Technik to build, deploy, run and integrate the components of the new infrastructure, including cloud-native applications and microservices.
- Container-native storage by Red Hat based on Red Hat Gluster Storage. Container-native storage provides flexible, scalable, cluster-based software-defined storage optimized for Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform designed to more efficiently meet data needs with minimal manual provisioning.
- Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (JBoss EAP) provides the core back-end foundation for applications available to end-users through the AVIATAR platform, and helps accelerate development of enterprise Java applications through standardization and capabilities designed for ease of use.
- Red Hat Data Grid replaces traditional relational databases to more quickly store and retrieve information in-memory, and enable computation and querying on that data at the same time.
- Red Hat JBoss Fuse enables integration of internal and third-party data storage sources.
- Red Hat 3scale API Management gives developers the ability to self-manage its application programming interfaces (APIs).
- Red Hat Ansible Tower helps to create and run reusable infrastructure code and automate provisioning tasks for Azure, Red Hat Gluster Storage and other infrastructure components.
This migration has better enabled Lufthansa Technik to think differently about its digital future. From automation to storage to self-service provisioning, the capabilities provided by Red Hat software help Lufthansa Technik’s development and operations teams work together more effectively. Data scientists, airplane engineers and developers are able to collaborate on internal and third-party applications for material planners, engineers, and other end users, which can help them better predict events and, as a result, help to save time and money.
Lufthansa Technik’s IT and developer teams can now use modern practices and processes, from DevOps and automation to modular and microservices-based infrastructure components to more quickly iterate on new ideas and can now bring applications to market in weeks instead of months or years. Writing new applications can now be done without having to wait for any provisioned infrastructure, which can enable developers to start delivering business value in a few days. Underscoring its success with open source infrastructure, Lufthansa Technik earned a 2018 Red Hat Innovation Award.
Matthew Hicks, senior vice president, Engineering, Red Hat
“Red Hat is excited to help enable Lufthansa Technik’s digital transformation and its move towards a hybrid cloud infrastructure. Creating a new customer-centric digital portfolio which can cater to the demands of its aviation industry customers required a flexible architecture and a new way of working. Red Hat’s technologies are at the core of this organizational shift: Lufthansa Technik is offering an open technology platform that invites collaboration. Using its new agile, flexible hybrid cloud infrastructure, the company can focus on work that supports its primary goal: improving the experience of airline passengers.”
Johannes Hansen, senior director application development & user experience, Digital Fleet Solutions, Lufthansa Technik AG
“Our Red Hat stack on Microsoft Azure, a proven solution for cloud services, has enabled us become faster and create a hybrid cloud infrastructure that meets our needs. With Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform on Microsoft Azure, for example, we can start implementing a new application immediately, without waiting for any infrastructure, allowing us to produce results in just a few days and have a minimum viable product after just several weeks.”
- Read Lufthansa Technik’s full Red Hat success story
- Read more Red Hat customer success stories
- Learn more about Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Learn more about Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform
- Learn more about Red Hat Ansible Tower
- Learn more about Red Hat Gluster Storage
- Learn more about Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform
- Learn more about Red Hat JBoss Fuse
- Learn more about Red Hat Data Grid
- Learn more about Red Hat 3scale API Management
- Learn more about Red Hat Summit
- Follow @RedHatSummit or via the hashtag #RHSummit on Twitter
- Become a fan of Red Hat Summit on Facebook
Connect with Red Hat
- Learn more about Red Hat
- Get more news in the Red Hat newsroom
- Read the Red Hat blog
- Follow Red Hat on Twitter
- Join Red Hat on Facebook
- Watch Red Hat videos on YouTube
- Join Red Hat on Google+
- Follow Red Hat on LinkedIn
About Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to provide reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As a connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to the ability of the Company to compete effectively; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; delays or reductions in information technology spending; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; fluctuations in exchange rates; the effects of industry consolidation; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; risks related to defects in our offerings and third-party hardware upon which our offerings depend; risks related to the security of our offerings and other data security vulnerabilities; changes in and a dependence on key personnel; the ability to meet financial and operational challenges encountered in our international operations; and ineffective management of, and control over, the Company's growth and international operations, as well as other factors contained in our most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission's website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations". In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company's views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
Red Hat, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the Shadowman logo, JBoss, Ansible, Gluster and OpenShift are trademarks or registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.