ARLINGTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Surescripts will have a strong presence at HIMSS18, March 5–9 in Las Vegas, with a variety of interactive events to explore critical industry topics, including prescription price transparency and healthcare interoperability. Expert presentations, technology demonstrations and networking events will bring to life how Surescripts solutions and the Surescripts Network Alliance™ work together to deliver actionable patient intelligence that supports better decision making across critical points of care.
“We have a unique and exciting story to tell at HIMSS18,” said Melanie Marcus, Chief Marketing Officer of Surescripts. “It’s the story of unprecedented participation and effort from across the Surescripts Network Alliance, and leveraging our portfolio of solutions that can collectively increase patient safety, reduce cost and increase quality.”
Highlights from the world’s largest health information technology tradeshow include:
- Surescripts Chief Executive Officer Tom Skelton will be joined by an esteemed panel of participants from across the Surescripts Network Alliance to discuss why prescription price transparency is critical to lowering patients’ out-of-pocket costs and preventing “sticker shock” and prescription abandonment at the pharmacy. Prescription abandonment is a common cause of medication non-adherence, which negatively impacts patient safety and costs an estimated $300 billion annually according to the New England Health Institute.
- Surescripts Chief Information Officer Mark Gingrich will participate in a panel discussion on HL7’s Da Vinci Project. During the session, panelists will explore this private-sector led initiative that is uniting stakeholders across the healthcare industry to advance value-based care at the national level by leveraging application programming interfaces (APIs) with Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR).
In advance of HIMSS18, Surescripts unveiled a new company website and introduced the Surescripts Network Alliance, which connects virtually all electronic health record (EHR) vendors, pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs), pharmacies and clinicians, plus an increasing number of health plans, long-term and post-acute care organizations and specialty pharmacy organizations. Founded in 2001 to enable electronic prescribing, Surescripts processes nearly 13 billion secure health data transactions each year, including nearly five million e-prescriptions each day, and serves the nation as the single most capable and trusted health information network, built to increase patient safety, lower costs and ensure quality care.
Surescripts is doing this through three distinct solution areas:
- Enhance Prescribing: Surescripts is enhancing the prescribing process with solutions that arm clinicians with prescription price transparency so they can make affordable prescription decisions with their patients, and an automated prior authorization process so that when the patient goes to pick up a prescription, it is authorized, affordable and ready to go.
- Inform Care Decisions: Surescripts is also informing care decisions by giving clinicians comprehensive and automated medication histories, along with patient-specific care location summaries, and enabling secure messaging and exchange of information between care providers.
- Advance Healthcare: Surescripts is advancing healthcare by convening, informing and advocating for the healthcare industry through research, federal and state public policy, and standards.
To learn more about Surescripts and connect with other participants in the Surescripts Network Alliance, stop by HIMSS Booth #632. Complete details on Surescripts activities at HIMSS are available online.
Surescripts HIMSS18 Event Highlights
Presentation: Immunization & Vaccination Use Case Featuring Record
Locator & Exchange
Tuesday, March 6 at 10:15 a.m. through Thursday, March 8 at 4 p.m. PST (hourly), in the Interoperability Showcase, Level 1, Hall G, Booth #11955
Panel Discussion: Bringing Prescription Price Transparency to the
Point of Care
Tuesday, March 6, 11 a.m., in the Exhibit Hall, Surescripts Booth #632
Moderator: Dr. Pat Salber, The Doctor Weighs In
Panelists: Casey Leonetti, CVS Health; Dr. Lynne Nowak, Express Scripts; Neil Simon, Aprima Medical Software; Tom Skelton, Surescripts
Presentation: Electronic Prior Authorization
Tuesday, March 6, 1 p.m. PST, in the Connected Health Experience, Level 2, Bellini 2101A, Booth #8700, Kiosk 30
Speakers: Jeremy Barnard and Caleb Schwecke, Surescripts
Presentation: The Payer/Provider Perspective on Interoperability –
The Da Vinci Project
Wednesday, March 7, 11:30 a.m. PST, in the Interoperability Showcase, Level 1, Hall G, Booth #11955, Education Theater
Panelist: Mark Gingrich, Surescripts
Reception: White Coat Award for Advances in Prescription Accuracy
Wednesday, March 7 at 4 p.m. PST, Surescripts booth #632
Invitees: EHRs and health systems that contract directly with Surescripts
Implementer’s Session: Co-Presentation with HL7
Thursday, March 8, 10:30 a.m. PST, in International Booth #5623
Speaker: Mark Gingrich, Surescripts
Our purpose is to serve the nation with the single most trusted and capable health information network, built to increase patient safety, lower costs and ensure quality care. Since 2001, Surescripts has led the movement to turn data into actionable intelligence, and convened the Surescripts Network Alliance™ to enhance prescribing, inform care decisions and advance the healthcare industry. Visit us at surescripts.com and follow us at twitter.com/surescripts.