TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AIG Insurance Company of Canada (AIG Canada), the Canadian-based subsidiary of American International Group, Inc. (NYSE:AIG), today announced it has been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for Young People. Managed by Mediacorp, the annual editorial competition recognizes the best places to work in Canada by evaluating each employer, based on the programs and initiatives they offer to attract and retain young people.
Since 2002, the special designation is awarded to organizations that offer such benefits as tuition assistance, co-op programs, mentorship, comprehensive learning and development and paid bonuses when employees complete certain courses or professional designations. The editors at the Top 100 project also review each employer’s career management programs designed to advance the career paths of young people.
“Young professionals seek a career with a higher purpose and a deeper meaning,” said Lynn Oldfield, President and Chief Executive Officer of AIG Canada. “The Property Casualty insurance industry offers the opportunity to help put people and businesses back together following a claim. At AIG, we provide a host of risk mitigation services to help enable our clients to transfer their most challenging risks, while capitalizing on today’s advancements in technology.”
“AIG has created a comprehensive suite of programming to attract and retain Canada’s best and brightest,” said Elizabeth Mcsavaney, Director, Human Resources, AIG Canada. “We strongly believe in investing in our staff members. For over 50 years, we have launched the careers of many insurance leaders.”
AIG Canada offers numerous programs and policies designed to attract and retain young people and staff members of all ages. These include the following:
- Innovation boot camps for teams of high potential employees, enabling collaboration, thought leadership and product innovation. Participants present innovative business plans to a panel of global executives seeking authorization to operationalize their proposals within AIG.
- An analyst program to help students in their final year of undergraduate study gain on-the-job experience.
- Employee Resource Groups such as Women & Allies, Young Professionals, and LGBT & Allies to help employees connect and create supportive communities.
- Competitive benefits package not linked to tenure. All employees are eligible for a short term incentive bonus, and there is no waiting period for company pension / employer contributed savings plan.
- External recognition of its young professionals through award nomination. This recognition includes two Insurance Business Canada magazine Young Gun awards and one Young Insurance Professional of the Year award from the Young Insurance Professionals Toronto organization.
- Global Mobility Program which is an opportunity to work anywhere in the world AIG has offices.
- Volunteer Time Off (two days off per calendar year) to give back to the communities in which AIG operates.
- Tuition reimbursement in the form of two courses per semester.
- Generous paid time off. All staff members receive a full 26 days of paid time off annually at time of hire.
- Designation awards, spot awards, employee recognition awards, and service awards. All designed to recognize outstanding contributions. The designation amounts range from $500 to $1,000 for qualifying designations.
- Flexible work arrangements. Staff members can choose to work some days from home rather than commute to the office.
- Formal mentoring program. Mentees are paired with a seasoned mentor for a twelve month term.
- Early career program (internship and full-time). The Early Career program is designed to give employees the training and skills they need to have a rewarding and successful career. Eligibility extends to university students looking for internships, recent university graduates, those with less than two years of work experience, and professionals seeking a new career path. The program also includes the global induction summit. This in-person summit is held at AIG’s global headquarters in New York. This interactive experience provides participants with an invaluable networking opportunity with their peers and business leadership.
- Work experience through its paid co-op program. In partnership with local universities, AIG Canada regularly hires co-op students for four month work terms within various underwriting lines of business. AIG has a successful track record of converting co-op placements into full-time hires after completion of the program.
American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a leading global insurance organization. Founded in 1919, today AIG member companies provide a wide range of property casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement products, and other financial services to customers in more than 80 countries and jurisdictions. These diverse offerings include products and services that help businesses and individuals protect their assets, manage risks and provide for retirement security. AIG common stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Additional information about AIG can be found at www.aig.com | YouTube: www.youtube.com/aig | Twitter: @AIGinsurance www.twitter.com/AIGinsurance | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aig. These references with additional information about AIG have been provided as a convenience, and the information contained on such websites is not incorporated by reference into this press release.
AIG is the marketing name for the worldwide property-casualty, life and retirement, and general insurance operations of American International Group, Inc. AIG Insurance Company of Canada is the licensed underwriter of AIG Commercial and Consumer insurance products in Canada. Coverage may not be available in all provinces and territories and is subject to actual policy language. Non-insurance products and services may be provided by independent third parties. The AIG logo and AIG are trademarks of American International Group, Inc., used under license by AIG Insurance Company of Canada. Additional information about AIG Canada can be found at www.aig.ca.
© 2018 American International Group, Inc. All rights reserved.