LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--To mark the ten-year anniversary of the financial crisis, Marketplace has launched “Divided Decade,” a year-long project exploring what happened, why it matters now and how the aftermath will continue to impact Americans’ economic future.
“Marketplace is fueled by an ambitious mission to raise the economic intelligence of the country,” said Deborah Clark, Marketplace senior vice president and general manager. “The financial crisis has created a clear division in the America we know today and is a stark example of how understanding our country’s history and economy is crucial.”
The series will explore changes in unemployment, affordable housing and the economic divides in communities nationwide through featured content, social storytelling and special podcasts.
“Divided Decade” launches on the tenth anniversary of the emergency meeting of the Federal Reserve and interest rate cut aimed to stabilize worried markets and the effects of toxic loans.
Over the course of the year, Marketplace will roll out a variety of coverage and content, including:
- #HowWeChanged: A series with portraits and stories from cities across the nation, #HowWeChanged will share Americans’ answers to one question: “How has the financial crisis changed you?” Marketplace will share stories on-air and via Marketplace’s Facebook and Instagram pages. Join in the conversation by using #HowWeChanged to share your story.
- Economic Anxiety Index®: Marketplace’s national poll returns with a focus on the financial crisis, gauging how Americans feel about their personal economies, how those feelings have changed since the last poll and how the financial crisis continues to affect them today.
- Key Moments in the Crisis: “Where were you when…?” stories, panel discussions and reported pieces will uncover how Americans experienced specific pivotal moments throughout the crisis.
- I’ve Always Wondered – Crisis Edition: The popular series will help answer economic queries around the financial crisis to get to the bottom of what keeps listeners wondering.
- Tectonic Shifts: Coverage will highlight the areas of our lives that were most changed by the crisis. Personal stories, deep reporting and special segments will illustrate what happened and explain how the crisis still impacts everything from homeownership to the kind of health insurance employers offer today.
- Getting Frank on Dodd: The Uncertain Hour® podcast will continue its season two focus on regulations with special episodes that examine federal financial regulations, to answer the question, “Are we safer today than we were a decade ago?”
Marketplace® is on a mission to raise the economic intelligence of the country. Its core programs – Marketplace®, Marketplace Morning Report®, Marketplace Weekend® and Marketplace Tech® – are currently broadcast on more than 800 public radio stations nationwide and heard by 14.6 million weekly listeners. Marketplace podcasts including Make Me Smart with Kai and Molly, The Uncertain Hour® and Corner Office can be found at Marketplace.org or on your favorite podcast app. The Marketplace portfolio of programs are produced and distributed by American Public Media®, one of the largest producers and distributors of public radio programming in the world. For more information on Marketplace, visit marketplace.org, follow us on Twitter @marketplace or like us on Facebook. For more information on American Public Media, visit americanpublicmedia.org.