LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Filtrete™ Brand from 3M today announced the arrival of the Filtrete™ Smart Air Filter, the first-ever Bluetooth®-enabled HVAC air filter for the home. The new filter takes the guesswork out of when it’s time for a filter change, and provides other information so homeowners can take control of their home’s air.
Filtrete™ Smart Air Filters contain a Bluetooth®-enabled pressure sensor that, when paired with the new Filtrete™ Smart App, will notify users when the filter needs to be replaced based on air flow and usage, not just time. The Filtrete Smart App also provides data on outside air quality and gives helpful tips for helping to improve air quality indoors. Users can decide how much interaction they have with the Filtrete Smart App by opting-in to specific smartphone notifications to alert them when it’s time to change their filter or even when outdoor air quality in their area is poor.
“When we talk with consumers, many know their air filter is designed to last on average three months, but every home is unique. Homeowners are unsure how their home’s environment impacts their indoor air and the optimal time to change their air filter, And, they often forget important details like their filter size and type when it is time to change,” said Amanda Dauphinais, Global Business Unit Manager, Filtrete Brand. “The Filtrete Smart Air Filter takes the guess work out, helping homeowners take control of the air in their homes.”
While the EPA recommends checking an air filter on a monthly basis and changing them at least quarterly1, Filtrete research shows it’s not uncommon for consumers to wait much longer between filter changes.
Filtrete Smart Air Filter and App Features
- Helpful Reminders. The Filtrete Smart App remembers filter type and size and can send notifications to the user when it’s time for a replacement.
- Filter Life Tracking. The app tracks filter life based on air flow and usage – not just elapsed time. It utilizes a proprietary 3M algorithm to determine filter life by balancing airflow and optimal particle capture efficiency. The app updates with the latest data collected from the filter to provide users with timely information on filter’s status, quickly and easily.
- Simple Filter Replacement. The app can direct users to online retailers that carry the exact Filtrete Smart Air Filter they need for easier repurchase and replacement.
- Helpful Information and Tips. The app can display outdoor air quality information for multiple locations and provide tips to help improve indoor air quality as well.
- Real-time Indoor Air Quality Readings. Consumers can use the app to get real-time data on their indoor air quality by pairing it with a compatible indoor air quality monitor (devices sold separately).
“The Filtrete Smart Air Filter helps monitor factors related to indoor air quality and provides data-driven alerts and replacement reminders, which is important because most people spend up to 90 percent of their time indoors,” continued Dauphinais. “When combined with exclusive 3M filtration technology, the Filtrete Smart Air Filter is a powerful and smart way to cleaner, fresher air in the home.”
The Filtrete Smart App logs outdoor air quality information based on the home’s location and provides tips to users on how to improve the air quality inside. Every home is a different environment, and various factors impact the lifespan of an air filter. For instance, household activities like vacuuming, cooking, and remodeling projects or the presence of pets can impact how long the air filter will last. The weather and other environmental concerns like smog and humidity also impact the air quality inside a home and may play a role in how often an air filter needs to be replaced.
Filtrete Smart Air Filters will be available at participating retailers nationwide in spring 2018. The MSRP ranges from $21.99-29.99 depending on filtration level and are compatible with iOS and Android devices. For more information about Filtrete Smart Air Filter visit www.filtrete.com/smart.
Filtrete is an exhibitor at CES 2018. Media attending the event can visit Filtrete at Pepcom Digital Experience! or stop by booth 40358 at the Smart Home Marketplace Exhibit at Sands, Halls A-D during CES, for a hands-on demo of the new Filtrete Smart Filter and app.
About Filtrete Filters
For more than 25 years, Filtrete™ Brand has been helping homeowners by delivering cleaner air to millions of homes. Developed by 3M scientists, Filtrete Electrostatic Air Filters are designed with exclusive 3M filtration technology that pulls in and traps unwanted particles — such as dust, pollen, mold spores, bacteria and viruses — while letting cleaner air flow through.
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $32 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world. Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.