CAMDEN, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB) has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index for the ninth consecutive year and the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for the eighth consecutive year. These independent rankings recognize Campbell’s leadership in supporting long-term shareholder value while creating a more sustainable environment and making a measurable difference in local communities.
“Campbell is honored to be included on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices,” said Dave Stangis, Campbell’s Vice President – Corporate Responsibility and Chief Sustainability Officer. “Strategic sustainability unlocks value in Campbell’s business objectives and is aligned with our Purpose – Real food that matters for life’s moments – across all areas of our company. Integrating sustainability into our operations is good for the planet, our consumers and our business.”
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) and its publisher, RobecoSAM, recognized Campbell’s progress in several areas including: Impact Measurement & Valuation, Codes of Business Conduct, Operational Eco-Efficiency and Raw Material Sourcing. Campbell’s key achievements in these areas include:
- Providing U.S. consumers with more than 15 billion servings of vegetables through our food and beverages, with healthy products accounting for nearly $3 billion in annual sales globally.
- Publishing expanded Responsible Sourcing standards.
- Expanding renewable energy projects at the company’s World Headquarters in Camden, N.J., and Pepperidge Farm plant in Bloomfield, Conn.
- Continuing to reduce water use, energy use and greenhouse gas emissions while recycling 86 percent of waste generated.
- Eliminating 2.2 million pounds of raw material used for packaging, for a cumulative reduction of more than 139 million pounds since 2009. This exceeds Campbell’s goal to eliminate 100 million pounds of packaging by 2020.
- Providing more than $65 million in charitable investments and in-kind giving.
Launched in 1999, the DJSI are a set of investible indices that track the financial performance of the leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide based on an analysis of financially material economic, environmental and social factors. RobecoSAM invited the world’s largest 3,400 companies from developed and emerging markets to take part in its annual Corporate Sustainability Assessment.
Campbell’s Corporate Responsibility strategies are designed to deliver measurable impacts and are discussed in Campbell’s Corporate Responsibility Report: Real Food, Real Commitment, Real Change. To learn more visit www.campbellcsr.com.
About Campbell Soup Company
Campbell (NYSE:CPB) is driven and inspired by our Purpose, “Real food that matters for life’s moments.” We make a range of high-quality soups and simple meals, beverages, snacks and packaged fresh foods. For generations, people have trusted Campbell to provide authentic, flavorful and readily available foods and beverages that connect them to each other, to warm memories and to what’s important today. Led by our iconic Campbell’s brand, our portfolio includes Pepperidge Farm, Bolthouse Farms, Arnott’s, V8, Swanson, Pace, Prego, Plum, Royal Dansk, Kjeldsens and Garden Fresh Gourmet. Founded in 1869, Campbell has a heritage of giving back and acting as a good steward of the planet’s natural resources. The company is a member of the Standard & Poor’s 500 and the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes. For more information, visit www.campbellsoupcompany.com or follow company news on Twitter via @CampbellSoupCo. To learn more about how we make our food and the choices behind the ingredients we use, visit www.whatsinmyfood.com.