WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Regulatory News:
Today Rovio is thrilled to introduce to the world the fast-moving pinball arcade smasher Angry Birds Action! – the focal point for a whole new kind of 360 entertainment experience that Rovio is orchestrating together with its partners.
In the latest Angry Birds symphony of destruction, leader of the flock Red smashes and crashes through obstacles and bounces from wall to wall like a wrecking ball – all in the name, of course, of saving precious and fragile eggs. Along the way, players unlock exclusive additional content by going to see The Angry Birds Movie on opening weekend, and also play augmented-reality mini-games and earn new rewards by scanning special BirdCodes located out in the real world.
More than 1 billion BirdCodes have been prepared and printed around the world, and can be found on innovative consumer products created by Rovio’s global partners such as The LEGO Group and H&M, or on display in physical retail environments such as Walmart in the United States. When scanned with Angry Birds Action! BirdCodes unlock additional power-ups and digital content, bringing a new digital dimension to, for example, McDonald’s Happy Meals, PEZ candy dispensers, H&M apparel, LEGO® building sets inspired by the film, and many other products by more partners in local territories.
Movie Magic is in the air
What’s more, by going to see the The Angry Birds Movie in the cinema during the opening weekend and sticking around for the credits, audience members with the game open on their device get treated to more Movie Magic – a whole new area of the game to explore and an additional exclusive movie clip that can’t be seen anywhere else but inside Angry Birds Action! Movie Magic works in the game by detecting an inaudible digital watermark that plays only behind the end credits.
“With The Angry Birds Movie coming soon, Angry Birds Action! brings the brand back full circle to its mobile origins, while also creating with our partners a new type of entertainment experience altogether,” says Kati Levoranta, Rovio CEO.
“We have put the Angry Birds characters and story at the center of a truly 360-degree experience this summer, bringing the storyworld to life in a new way both for our heavily engaged fanbase and newcomers alike,” adds Miika Tams, VP Games. “Angry Birds Action! is the cornerstone of our comprehensive Digital Movie Program, which bridges digital and physical entertainment like never before, and with more than 1 billion BirdCodes to be found out in the wild, at a scale never seen before either.”
Angry Birds Action! is published by Rovio Entertainment and developed by Tag Games. The game is completely free to download, play and succeed in, but optional in-app purchases are available. Players are reminded to have the permission of the bill payer before making any in-app purchases. BirdCodes at retail partners require no purchase to function – just walk in, find the BirdCode, scan and enjoy. However, take-home consumer products bearing BirdCodes really should be purchased before, you know, taking them home.
Notes to editors
- More than two dozen unique BirdCode experiences within Angry Birds Action! have been developed with promotional and licensing partners
- Each of the six LEGO Angry Birds playsets come with their own different augmented-reality mini-game, unlocked by scanning the BirdCode found on the last page of the building instructions
- Play a “Whack-a-Pig” mini-game by scanning BirdCodes on McDonald’s Happy Meals, drink cups, wrappers and trayliners and also take selfies with characters from The Angry Birds Movie
- Designs on H&M apparel include BirdCodes that unlock an endless runner mini-game starring Red, Chuck or Bomb
- Fling virtual PEZ candies at pigs by scanning the BirdCodes on Angry Birds Movie PEZ dispensers
- Go on an augmented-reality Egg Hunt with BirdCodes found on products by many more partners in local territories (for example, Peperami in Europe)
- Go on a real-world scavenger hunt by visiting retailers such as Walmart or Toys ‘R’ Us, and looking for the BirdCodes on display. Scanning them unlocks additional power-ups and a different character (Red, Chuck, Bomb or a Pig) that provides a key to a mystery box in the game
Rovio Entertainment Ltd. is a global entertainment media company. Headquartered in Finland and with studios across the world, Rovio is the creator of Angry Birds™, the casual mobile game that changed an industry and became an international phenomenon. Today Angry Birds is not only the most downloaded game of all time, it is a renowned entertainment brand that has branched out into animation, licensing and more. The Angry Birds Movie is slated for release in May 2016. www.rovio.com
This information was brought to you by Cision http://news.cision.com