MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Couchbase, the database for the Digital Economy, today announced another year of remarkable growth and industry leading product innovation. The company nearly doubled sales and continued to achieve impressive enterprise renewal rates above 90 percent. In addition to demonstrating strong business fundamentals, the company continued to lead the NoSQL market in product innovation, introducing N1QL, SQL for JSON – making NoSQL technology accessible to millions of trained SQL engineers and opening NoSQL to the enterprise SQL ecosystem.
“To stay competitive in the Digital Economy, businesses must deliver great Web and mobile experiences. Relational technology is just not capable of supporting the agility, scalability and performance requirements for these types of applications,” said Bob Wiederhold, CEO at Couchbase. “In 2015, companies from every industry launched NoSQL projects and Couchbase was increasingly chosen to support mission critical applications. Coming into 2016, we are very well positioned to lead the NoSQL market. We have the best technology to meet enterprise flexibility, scale and performance needs, and have very deliberately laid the foundation for a sustainable, enduring business.”
In 2015, Couchbase was selected by companies like Marriott and Gannett as the database to underpin a transition to the Digital Economy, while Digital Economy pioneers like eBay and PayPal expanded usage of Couchbase. One of the biggest drivers of Couchbase success in 2015 was the momentous release of Couchbase Server 4.0, which accelerated NoSQL enterprise adoption – as noted by Matt Aslett, research director, data platforms and analytics, 451 Research, “Enterprises are making strategic investments in more agile, multi-model databases that serve a variety of needs that existing relational databases were never designed for. New features such as N1QL, multi-dimensional scaling and secondary indexes mean that Couchbase Server 4.0 addresses a wider range of use cases, encouraging expanded enterprise adoption of NoSQL.”
Notable Highlights from Couchbase in 2015:
- Added new customers around the world that are building Digital Economy businesses, including BestBuy Canada, La Banque Postal, CenturyLink, Credit Mutuel CIC Group, Dixons UK, Gannett, General Electric, McKesson, Office Depot Inc., Red Bull, Symantec and Visa.
- Expanded relationships with existing customers including Amadeus, Cisco, Criteo, DirecTV, eBay, IGT, Intuit, Nike, Nuance, Tesco and Verizon.
- Delivered the NoSQL industry’s first SQL-based query language, N1QL – a familiar and efficient language enabling development teams to rapidly build applications that meet the highly competitive needs of Digital Economy businesses.
- Launched new releases of Couchbase Server, which included multiple performance enhancements that optimize a distributed architecture to fulfill Digital Economy requirements for application availability and responsiveness.
- Emerged as a clear leader for Digital Economy e-commerce businesses during Black Friday, where Couchbase technology reliably supported the world’s most heavily trafficked sites at historic peak times without incident.
- Added independent board member Jeff Epstein, former CFO of Oracle.
- Added database industry experts Don Chamberlin and Mike Carey as technical advisors.
- Hosted a historic user conference, Couchbase Connect, at Levi’s Stadium – attracting more than 1,000 attendees and over 10,000 unique live stream viewers to watch presentations by Couchbase customers including Blizzard Entertainment, DirecTV, General Electric, Moody’s Analytics, Intuit, LinkedIn, Nielsen and Ryanair.
- Grew Couchbase Live Europe 2015, its annual European user conference by nearly three times the number of attendees as previous years, with presentations from European customers like Amadeus, Ryanair and the Turkish Ministry of Health.
- Named as a visionary by Gartner in the October 2015 Magic Quadrant for Operational Database Management Systems.
- Recognized by CNN as a start up to “bet on.”
- Introducing Couchbase Server 4.1 Blog
- Couchbase Getting Started Guide
- Couchbase Server Product Page
- UCSD endorses N1QL
- Visit www.couchbase.com
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
Couchbase delivers the database for the Digital Economy. Developers around the world choose Couchbase for its advantages in data model flexibility, elastic scalability, performance, and 24x365 availability to build enterprise web, mobile, and IoT applications. The Couchbase platform includes Couchbase Server, Couchbase Lite, the first mobile NoSQL database, and Couchbase Sync Gateway. Couchbase is designed for global deployments, with configurable cross data center replication to increase data locality and availability. All Couchbase products are open source projects.
Couchbase customers include industry leaders like AOL, AT&T, Cisco, Comcast, Concur, Disney, Dixons, eBay, General Electric, Marriott, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Orbitz, PayPal, Ryanair, Rakuten / Viber, Tesco, Verizon, Wells Fargo, Willis Group, as well as hundreds of other household names.
Couchbase investors include Accel Partners, Adams Street Partners, Ignition Partners, Mayfield Fund, North Bridge Venture Partners and West Summit.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.