REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Shopkick, the shopping companion app that makes in-store shopping more rewarding, personal and enjoyable, has blown past 15 million users worldwide, doubling its user base in one year. Shopkick’s passionate users also spent almost two hours per month in the shopkick app during July 2015, according to data from Nielsen’s Electronic Mobile Measurement Panel. This made shopkick the top app in the Commerce & Shopping category in terms of time spent per person*, far exceeding time spent on other similar apps, which together averaged 36 minutes of engagement per user that month.
“If you stacked all of the gift cards that users have received from shopkick, the pile would be 18 Empire State Buildings, or over four miles, high. That’s 15 billion Kicks, or $60 million, that we’ve rewarded to shopkick users just for shopping how they want to shop,” said Cyriac Roeding, co-founder and CEO of shopkick. “From saving time, money and earning rewards, to discovering the things you are looking for or otherwise would have missed without shopkick, we are reinventing the shopping experience by transforming a store, into your personalized store.”
Along with overwhelming consumer satisfaction and retention, shopkick now has more than 300 large brand partners including Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Kraft and Pepsi, as well as 25 retail partners, including Macy’s, Best Buy, American Eagle, Sports Authority and JCPenney.
By dramatically improving the shopping experience for consumers, shopkick’s retail and brand partners have seen directly measurable increases in engagement and sales. Independent third party studies proved that 52% of all sales driven by shopkick have been purely incremental, i.e. would not have occurred without shopkick. Said another way, shopkick doubled the sales from its user groups for the participating retailers. Of this impressive incremental spend, 74% came from new customers that shopkick introduced to its partners, who had not made purchases there for at least one year. The remaining 26% come from increased loyalty of stores’ existing customers, who spent 26% more per person and more often at shopkick partner stores, compared to exactly matched customer control groups that did not use shopkick.
In total, shopkick generated a cumulative $1 billion in assisted revenue for its retail and brand partners from 2010 to 2014. In 2015 alone, shopkick expects to drive an additional $800 million to $1 billion in sales.
As a pioneer of beacon technology, shopkick has more than 20,000 shopBeacons® installed at more than 14,000 large stores, allowing users to be rewarded for the simple act of visiting a store. These Apple iBeaconTM-compatible devices emit a patented, encrypted signal, using a combination of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and ultrasound technology, which shopkick users and retailers’ own apps can pick up. Shopkick has driven over 90 million store visits and 140 million direct product engagements from users scanning its products from among the aisles at stores.
*Source: Nielsen Mobile NetView 3.0, July 2015. Time per Person for shopkick compared to the aggregated Time per Person of the top 10 U.S. Commerce & Shopping apps ranked on Unique Audience (excluding shopkick)
About shopkick, Inc.
The shopkick app is the #1 mobile shopping companion that helps users save money and get rewarded. At home or at stores, shopkick users find the best deals and trending products, all while earning rewards for everyday actions like store visits, product scans and purchases.
Ranked by Nielsen as the most widely and often used real-world shopping app, shopkick counts some of the world’s most recognizable brands as partners, including American Eagle Outfitters, Best Buy, JCPenney, Macy's, MasterCard, The Sports Authority, VISA, Procter & Gamble, Mondelez, Revlon, Unilever, Pepsi, Kraft, HP and more. The Redwood City-based company was initially funded by Kleiner Perkins' iFund, Greylock Partners and Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn and investor in Facebook.
In October 2014, shopkick was acquired by SK Planet, the South Korea-based mobile and commerce leader, and together they are on a mission to build the #1 online-to-offline commerce company in the world.