NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Driven by the passionate personality of its New York audience, hard courts and intense competition, the US Open is considered one of the most electric events in all of sports. As part of its sponsorship of the 2015 US Open, American Express (NYSE:AXP) will place Card Members and tennis fans attending the tournament at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center and those following along at home at the center of this passionate competition.
The highlight of American Express’ onsite Fan Experience will be ‘You vs. Sharapova,’ a game using virtual reality technology which allows fans to compete against international tennis star Maria Sharapova. Complementing the onsite experience, American Express will bring the excitement and competitive tension behind the game to people watching at home through daily US Open-themed #AmexTennis debates on Twitter with professionals John Isner and Monica Puig.
“Our Card Members love the thrill of the US Open and the competitive fire it ignites within them, which is all magnified by the spirit of New York,” said Deborah Curtis, vice president, global sponsorships and experiential marketing, American Express. “This year we leveraged that insight to create experiences that get fans’ blood pumping from bringing fans up close and personal with Maria’s game to spreading the fervor around the tournament through social conversation across the country.”
Sharapova will be the face of American Express at the US Open this year. “The US Open is an electric event and American Express does a fantastic job engaging fans in the sport in new ways at the tournament year after year,” said Maria Sharapova. “I was thrilled when American Express approached me with the ‘You vs. Sharapova’ experience idea. American Express’s history with the US Open and in creating amazing experiences for Card Members like me made it an ideal fit.” In addition to the US Open, she will be involved in American Express projects throughout the year.
In its 21st year as a US Open sponsor, American Express continues to deliver unparalleled experiences enhanced by the latest technology as well as exceptional services to Card Members and fans at the Open.
Unforgettable Onsite Experiences
Located just inside the East Gate, the US Open American Express Fan Experience features 20,000 square feet of interactive programming, designed to make this year’s Open one to remember. Activities include:
- You Vs. Sharapova: Virtual reality technology and computer generated images filmed with Maria allow fans the unique opportunity to play a pro at the top of her game in this simulated game. Fans will be able to try their hand at returning Sharapova’s blistering serves, volley against her and more.
- Epic Matchup: Fans and their friends will be able to star in their very own shareable video simulating a rally from the tennis court baseline at Arthur Ashe Stadium.
- International Tennis Hall of Fame Exhibit: The Original 9 and World Team Tennis, an exhibit about two important developments in the game of tennis, created by Hall of Famer and legend Billie Jean King. The exhibit explores the history and creation of the WTA Tour and the coed tennis league World Team Tennis through artifacts and imagery.
American Express Fan Court: The full-sized tennis court will
feature daily live programming to provide fans of all ages with tools
and technology to enhance and improve their tennis game, including:
- Athlete Meet and Greets: Over the course of the US Open, select tennis professionals will join American Express on the court to participate in question and answer sessions, giving fans additional insight into and tips for the game.
- Fan Court Photo Op: Fans will have an opportunity to pose for a photo with a tennis star during appearances.
- USTA Tennis Programming: A returning fan favorite, fans of all ages will have the chance to participate in USTA programming sessions including 10-and-under tennis sessions, adult tennis skills challenges and more.
- US Open Men’s and Women’s Singles Trophies will be on display in the Fan Experience for fans to view.
- American Express® Card Member Club: Card Members will be invited to sit back, relax and recharge in the Card Member Club, which will boast a number of complimentary services such as cell phone charging, iPad games for kids and more. Food and beverages are available for purchase as well.
- American Express Radio Live at the Open: A fan favorite, the radio earpieces feature live play-by-play commentary and match updates from ESPN and will be available to American Express Card Members throughout of the Open. On September 7, all tennis fans –Card Members and non-Card Members– will have the opportunity to pick-up one of the 12,000 radios upon entry at the gates. All American Express radios at the Open are provided on a first-come, first-serve basis and are only available while supplies last.
- World Class Service for Fans: American Express Customer Care Professionals will be at the Fan Experience and throughout the grounds of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center delivering the company’s award-winning Relationship Care® service to its customers and all event guests, helping fans take full advantage of onsite benefits and experience the exceptional care American Express provides Card Members.
Staying Connected to Latest #USOpen Fan Buzz
The social conversation among tennis fans during the US Open is nearly as intense as the action on the courts, which is why American Express is enhancing the online experience with:
US Open TrendCast from American Express: American Express’ US
Open TrendCast is back. Located within the official US Open app,
TrendCast will track the US Open’s top stories across social media, so
fans can stay on top of trending topics, explore videos and images,
and join the conversation all within the app.
US Open TrendCast from American Express will also be available online at USOpen.org, within the site’s social section. Fans can join the conversation using #AmexTennis and their social posts may be displayed onsite at the US Open or on the US Open’s digital and social channels.
- #AmexTennis US Open Daily Debates: American Express will take the hottest trending topics around this year’s Open and encourage all US Open fans to participate in the tournament by debating about the sport. With questions such as what makes the US Open unique, fans can track and take part in the competitive conversations by using #AmexTennis. As the daily debates heat up, pros will join the action online.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products and services: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, Plenti rewards program, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, corporate card and business travel.