NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Crowdtap, the Leading Social Influence Marketing Platform, has released a new research report on the media consumption habits of millennials, how they perceive information from various sources and how these same media sources impact purchasing decisions.
The research was conducted in partnership with Ipsos Media CT and the Social Media Advertising Consortium (SMAC).
Millennials, which are forecasted to have record-breaking purchasing power, are most influenced by user-generated content (UGC).
Key research highlights as follows:
- In aggregate, millennials spend roughly 18 hours with different types of media per day (often viewing multiple devices, media hours are not mutually exclusive).
- UGC wins millennials time, with 5.4 hours, roughly 30% of time spent and is only rivaled by all traditional media types combined (print, radio and television at 33%).
- On a daily basis millennials prioritize social networking above all other media types, with 71% saying they engage in social media daily.
- Millennials say that information received through UGC is trusted 50% more than information from other media sources, including TV, newspapers and magazines.
- Millennials find UGC content 35% more memorable than other sources.
Given the study findings, UGC empowers marketers with greater access to millennials’ time, a more trusted channel to deliver brand messages and a more memorable experience. This combination provides a unique medium and if leveraged correctly, gives brands the opportunity to be influential by leveraging UGC.
Download the full research study as part of Crowdtap’s research paper, Social Influence: Marketing’s New Frontier.
Editor’s Note: Crowdtap and partner Ipsos conducted this research in January 2014. The universe was 839 US men and women from the Millennial Generation (defined as age 18-36).
Crowdtap is the Leading Social Influence Marketing Platform (SaaS), making it easy for marketers to inspire a crowd of consumers to create quality content, drive unmatched social activity and provide real-time insights. Crowdtap is one of the Forbes 100 Most Promising Companies of 2014, Crain’s #3 Best Place to Work in NYC, Mashable’s #6 Best Tech Company to Work For, winner of the 2013 WOMMY Influencer Award and Mashable's Up & Coming Social Media Service of the Year. The company works with leading brands including Verizon, P&G, Nestle, Kraft, Campbell’s, Reckitt-Benckiser, Clorox, AT&T and Sony. Headquartered in New York, Crowdtap has raised $10MM through the Foundry Group, Tribeca Venture Partners, Alta Communications and The Mustang Group. Visit corp.crowdtap.com for more information.
About Social Media Advertising Consortium
Founded in 2009, SMAC members are groundbreakers, entrepreneurs and thought leaders. This community fosters an environment of innovation and expertise in social media, with an emphasis on new business opportunities, knowledge and creating business relationships. Our mission is to foster collaboration throughout the entire social media ecosystem, diving deep into critical issues and staying ahead of this constantly evolving industry. Our leadership board and member companies represent the top thought leaders in social media from brands, agencies, technology companies and press partners with a unified goal to educate on issues and trends in social media. www.smac.org