NEWARK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Stockton, CA Police Department (SPD) announced its partnership with SST, Inc., the world leader and innovator in gunfire location, alert and analysis technology, to subscribe to SST’s ShotSpotter Flex℠ solution to detect and locate gunfire incidents and gather gunfire intelligence to help improve the safety, security and quality of life for its residents by helping curb gun violence. ShotSpotter Flex delivers the critical data and actionable information that public safety and law enforcement agencies need not only to respond efficiently to gunfire incidents faster and more safely, but also to enable them to proactively develop effective problem-oriented, data-driven policing strategies and operations; improved investigations and evidence collection; more targeted deployments; and enhanced crime analysis using the real-time intelligence provided by ShotSpotter.
Stockton PD is already achieving early success with the use of the technology. The following cases are examples on how the Department is utilizing ShotSpotter:
- Officers responded to a ShotSpotter alert and camera room operators saw several subjects in the area. The camera room operators directed the officers to where the subjects were and one of the subjects was in possession of a firearm. The subject admitted to firing the weapon and another subject was in possession of brass knuckles and cocaine.
- SPD officers responded to a ShotSpotter alert on a report of a single gunshot. When officers arrived, they found the suspect in the front yard of the residence with a loaded .22 caliber rifle leaning up against a tree. The suspect had a pocket full of .22 caliber casings and admitted to firing the rifle.
- Community Response Team (CRT) officers responded to a ShotSpotter alert on a report of two gunshots. CRT Officers attempted to make contact at the residence and they heard a subject run through the house and subsequently throw a loaded stolen .40 caliber pistol out the back door into the back yard. A further search of the yard revealed two expended .40 caliber shell casings. This residence is known for gang activity and the residents refused to open the door and told the officers to get a warrant. Follow up investigation led to a search warrant being served where officers located ammunition for a 9mm, 7.62 x 39, and .22 caliber shell casings, a holster, gang attire, and 56 grams of marijuana. During the interviews, a subject admitted to being in possession of the firearm.
“Safety and security for our residents is paramount to our efforts, and we take illegal gunfire and gun violence very seriously,” said Stockton Chief of Police Eric Jones. “We’re employing comprehensive initiatives to address this, and are integrating our police strategies and tactics with the use of the ShotSpotter Flex service to provide the gunfire data and intelligence we need to combat gun violence and related gun crime. The solution not only provides us with the intelligence we need to respond faster and safer to gunfire, but also enables us to more effectively investigate and prosecute illegal gun use.”
The gunfire data provided by ShotSpotter Flex will be critical in supporting SPD’s policing and enforcement efforts across all areas of its operations. In addition to helping improve SPD’s awareness of gunfire incidents – particularly when no one calls 9-1-1 – ShotSpotter will enable SPD to gather detailed gunfire incident information and forensic evidence for investigations and analysis, resulting in increased prosecutions for gun-related crime, and the data will enhance crime analysis and predictive policing capabilities, leading to improved public safety and security.
“We’re honored to work with Chief Jones, the Stockton Police Department and the City of Stockton to improve community safety and the quality of life the city’s residents deserve,” said Ralph A. Clark, President and CEO of SST. “Our work enables cities and communities to create comprehensive gun violence reduction programs, and technology and data are critical components, particularly when that intelligence is not available from any other source. We are committed to our partnership with SPD, and providing them the critical information to support their fight against gun violence.”
ShotSpotter Flex supports the development of effective intelligence-led policing strategies and tactical operations using real-time, actionable data and intelligence. ShotSpotter Flex will be delivered to SPD in a hosted, subscription-based service making it more affordable, more easily deployed, and delivered without the extensive up-front costs, IT resources and expenses of a traditional technology acquisition.
The solution also includes SST’s Reviewed Alerts Service which provides immediate review and qualification of all gunfire incidents by gunshot and acoustic experts. Among the key benefits delivered by ShotSpotter are:
- Instant, Accurate Situational Awareness – Precise gunfire incident information enables informed decisions for faster emergency response while also improving situational intelligence and increasing first responder safety.
- Enhanced Forensics Analysis & Crime Analysis– Detailed forensic data and intelligence improves the investigative process leading to more thorough investigations and enhanced prosecutions for gun-related crime.
- Incident Expert Qualification – A highly trained team of gunfire acoustic experts at the SST Operations Center review and qualify all incidents immediately and pass valuable, actionable gunfire incident data to 9-1-1 dispatch centers and mobile police units enabling accurate and reliable data.
- Long-Term Crime Deterrence – Awareness of all gunfire incidents and cumulative data enables proactive crime analysis and strategic deterrence.
About Stockton Police Department
Our mission is to work in partnership with the people of Stockton to build a safe and secure community. We do so with pride in our trade, honor in our badge, and professionalism in our work. The Stockton Police Department believes in embracing technology, such as ShotSpotter, and will continue to research and analyze all technological support programs that will benefit the department and the community.
About SST, Inc.
SST, Inc. is the world leader in gunshot detection, and its ShotSpotter solutions are the leading gunfire alert and analysis solutions. Its public safety technology solutions are focused on improving public and community safety by locating gunfire and other explosive events, and ultimately, helping reduce and prevent gun violence and improving intelligence-led policing and community policing initiatives. SST solutions protect cities and countries around the world, with more than 80 installations in four countries and in almost 70 US cities. Privately held, the company possesses a multitude of patents that are the result of nearly two decades of innovation in the area of acoustic gunshot location technology. Information about SST and ShotSpotter can be found at www.sst-inc.com or www.shotspotter.com. You can also follow SST and ShotSpotter solutions on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.