MIDDLEBURY, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--While nobody seems to have enough time, frequently we don’t know where our time goes. Timex, the nation’s leading watch manufacturer, is providing details about how Americans spend their time, how long they wait, the amount of time it takes to be considered “late” and more.
It’s easy to see why we don’t know where the time goes. The survey revealed that on average, people wait seven minutes for a cup of coffee, 20 minutes a day in traffic, 20 minutes a day for the bus or train and 32 minutes each time they go to the doctor.
When it comes to asking people to be quiet, it is apparent that Americans aren’t shy. They’ll “shhh” somebody in a movie theater after just less than two minutes. They’ll also endure someone else’s phone conversation for an average of two and a half minutes before asking them to “keep it down.”
“Time is our most precious commodity and the results of the Timex survey help detail where our time goes and can also help us prioritize our activities so that we can use the time we do have more effectively,” said Adam Gurian, president of Timex. “Of course, wearing a watch can help all of us manage our time, and lower our stress levels.”
Other facts from the survey include:
- More than half agree that any amount of lateness considers you “officially” late to work, a first date or an interview. Interestingly, 64% of people said they are “never” late to work.
- People wait an average of 20 minutes for their significant other to get ready, which is shorter than the 32 minutes they spend getting ready
- Call ahead, because you’ll be waiting an average of 15 minutes for a table at a restaurant
- Tailgating at a sporting event lasts for an average of 79 minutes and watching sports on the weekend takes an average of 1.9 hours
- Women are more likely than men to agree that “people should have more patience when waiting in lines” and that “being late says a lot about your character.”
- Those who wear a watch all the time or most of the time are more likely to agree that they give themselves enough time to get ready and ample travel time when they have an appointment or have to be somewhere
The comprehensive survey was conducted August 23-29, 2012, with 1,000 respondents and includes a margin of error of +\- 5%.
Full results of the survey can be found at: http://timexgroup.com/news/press.html
About the TIMEX Group
Timex Group designs, manufactures and markets innovative timepieces and jewelry globally. Founded in 1854, Timex is part of the Timex Group, a privately-held company with numerous brands and over 5,000 employees worldwide. It is one of the largest watch makers in the world with companies and exclusive licenses worldwide.