-

Lockout comes to an end: District of Squamish workers ratify new collective agreement

SQUAMISH--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE 2269 members have ratified the tentative agreement reached earlier this week with the District of Squamish, officially bringing an end to the almost two-week long lockout.

“At its core, this dispute was about respect, and about creating a workplace where people feel valued and supported,” said Celeste Bickford, president of CUPE 2269. “This new agreement is a starting point for addressing the concerns workers have been raising, that could be seen every day during the lockout. There’s still a lot of work to do to address the ongoing recruitment and retention challenges the District faces, and to ensure the long-term sustainability of service levels.”

The new agreement includes wage increases of 3.75 percent for 2025, 3.25 percent for 2026 and 3 percent for 2027. Other key improvements include living wage increases for the lowest paid workers and market adjustments for six separate classifications to support recruitment and retention. A joint committee will also be formed to make recommendations on alternative scheduling options that promote work-life balance.

“This round of negotiations has highlighted the need for a more constructive and collaborative approach moving forward. That said, the employer’s actions throughout this dispute have left a lasting impact, and it will take time and genuine commitment to rebuild trust and restore a healthy working relationship,” says Bickford.

With the agreement now ratified by both parties, picket lines are being taken down and CUPE 2269 members will be back at work tomorrow morning (Thursday, October 30).

Bickford also thanked the community for their patience and support during the lockout.

“We know the lockout had a significant impact on our community, yet so many people showed us so much support,” said Bickford. “There’s no doubt that Squamish is an incredible community, and we’re proud to be the people who provide the vital services our community counts on. We’re looking forward to being back at work and continuing to provide public services for Squamish residents, businesses and visitors.”

COPE491

Contacts

For more information:

Celeste Bickford
President, CUPE 2269
778-970-2269

Kathryn Davies
CUPE Communications Representative
250-886-6502, kdavies@cupe.ca

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

For more information:

Celeste Bickford
President, CUPE 2269
778-970-2269

Kathryn Davies
CUPE Communications Representative
250-886-6502, kdavies@cupe.ca

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

ER wait-times surged at Ottawa hospitals over the past three years due to provincial underfunding: CCPA report

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The majority of Ontario’s 136 hospitals including facilities in Ottawa have carried operational deficits since 2022, and this puts an already precarious public system at risk, says new analysis from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA). In Failure, By Design: Ontario’s deepening hospital funding crisis, CCPA Senior Researcher Andrew Longhurst finds that rising hospital costs of six percent annually and government underfunding are creating a toxic situation...

"We deserve the same rights as other health care workers:” PSW Day protest at Doug Ford’s office on May 19

ETOBICOKE, ON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Personal support workers represented by the Canadian Union of Public Employees are demanding the Ontario government fix a “fundamentally flawed” regulatory body that denies them rights and protections granted to other health care workers. PSWs will be holding a rally to register their protest outside Doug Ford’s constituency office on PSW Day, which falls on May 19 this year. The action is in response to a rising trend among health care employers, making it manda...

The OSBCU Calls for Real Investment After Ford Government’s Deeply Inadequate Education Funding Announcement

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Ontario School Board Council of Unions (OSBCU) is deeply disappointed by the Ford government’s 2026–27 Core Education Funding announcement released today. At a time when Ontario’s publicly funded schools are facing an unprecedented staffing and funding crisis, this funding offers little more than austerity, uncertainty, and continued neglect for students and education workers. The government’s projected funding increase of just 1 per cent falls below inflation and...
Back to Newsroom