-

Statement from CUPE WSIB Specialists on the Impact of Ongoing Strike on Workers’ Compensation Services

MARKHAM, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As the strike at the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) continues, CUPE’s WSIB Specialists – lawyers and paralegals who represent CUPE members in appeals at the WSIB and Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal – are raising urgent concerns about the growing disruption of critical services that injured workers rely on.

“Workers are already feeling the consequences of this work stoppage, and the impact is both immediate and serious,” said one CUPE specialist, speaking with OCEU. “One worker’s retroactive Loss of Earnings (LOE) benefits are currently stalled in WSIB payroll, after months of delays already caused by the employer. Now, with the strike ongoing, that delay is only compounding.”

Specialists are also reporting widespread delays in case processing, including file access, reconsideration requests, and Appeals Resolution Officer (ARO) reviews. These vital processes are now expected to take weeks or even months longer.

“The employer has assigned managers and directors to oversee the work of case managers, but many are unable to provide clear answers or timelines,” the representative said.

In another troubling case, a worker was given incorrect information about the delivery of urgently needed compensation cheques. “I was told by a Case Manager that the worker’s claim had gone to payment just before the strike and would be sent by courier that same day. I passed that information on to the worker.”

However, the cheques did not arrive. “The worker was understandably frustrated and in distress. When I called WSIB, I was told - after being placed on hold - that courier delivery could actually take up to 10 business days. That’s not what we were originally told, and it certainly doesn’t help the worker who has been waiting desperately for these funds.”

“This is not an isolated glitch. It reflects the deeper dysfunction we’re seeing throughout the system,” said the specialist. “WSIB continues to claim there are no interruptions to service. But we know that’s simply not true.”

CUPE’s WSIB specialists stand in solidarity with the OCEU and the broader community of injured workers in calling for a swift resolution to the strike and immediate action to restore timely, reliable access to workers' compensation services.

mb/cope491

Contacts

Bill Chalupiak
CUPE Communications Representative
wchalupiak@cupe.ca
416-707-1401

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

Bill Chalupiak
CUPE Communications Representative
wchalupiak@cupe.ca
416-707-1401

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

CUPE Alberta calls for an election, says Smith’s referendum is a dangerous distraction from government’s mismanagement of public services

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta is condemning Premier Danielle Smith’s announcement of an anti-immigrant referendum that seeks permission for her government to make it harder for Albertans to vote. “She should get back to work and focus on the issues that actually matter to Albertans,” said CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal. “Albertans are facing actual crises in health care, in our classrooms, with the cost of living, and with jobs. Instead of taking accountability and fixing any of...

Dalhousie’s Part-Time Architecture Faculty Join CUPE 3912

HALIFAX, NS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3912 is pleased to announce that part-time faculty in the Architecture Department at Dalhousie University (Dal) are officially members of our Local as of January 14, 2026, retroactive to November 2025. Architecture was one of only four departments at Dalhousie previously exempted from the part-time faculty collective agreement. With this change, only part-time faculty in Computer Science, Engineering, and Law remain o...

CUPE Nova Scotia: “Long Term Care Is Dying, and Houston Is Letting It Happen”

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, President of CUPE Nova Scotia Alan Linkletter sent a letter to Premier Houston calling on this conservative government to stop ignoring the hardworking long term care workers of this province and offer them a fair deal instead of lining the pockets of private companies. “Since Houston entered office, we have been overrun with examples of his government offering up millions of dollars in contracts to private companies instead of using that same money...
Back to Newsroom