-

Education Workers Launch New Videos, $1.4 Million Advertising Campaign

EDMONTON, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Striking education support workers are taking to the airwaves with two new video ads in support of their campaign for better classroom supports. The videos, produced for the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), are part of a $1.4 million campaign the union has launched.

Over 4,000 education support workers are on strike in the Edmonton region and Fort McMurray, with over 2,000 more taking strike votes this weekend across Alberta.

CUPE Alberta President Rory Gill said the ads speak to issues any parent can identify with – classroom support. In one video, a noisy classroom is in chaos until an Educational Assistant enters the room and calms things down. In the second video, young students talk about what they need to succeed, with one child pointing to “my Abigail,” his educational support person.

Ads direct viewers to visit www.helpstudentssucceed.ca where they can send a letter to their MLA.

“Alberta has the lowest per student education funding of any province in Canada,” said Gill. “Students are being impacted by classroom vacancies, overworked staff, and lack of resources.”

“The Alberta government has to act, and act soon, or this campaign and these strikes will expand and spread,” said Gill.

Gill said most education support staff have not had a wage increase in ten years, a period of 30% inflation. The average education support worker makes just $34,500 per year.

Video #1 – Education support staff help the entire classroom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y8Nqjx3u6Y

Video #2 – What do I need to succeed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYT9jGLiq_4

:sz/cope 491

Contacts

Lou Arab, Communications Representative
larab@cupe.ca 780.271.2722

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

Lou Arab, Communications Representative
larab@cupe.ca 780.271.2722

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

CUPE holds solidarity rally outside Villa Marconi, amid growing pile-up in the laundry department

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The residents of Villa Marconi are running out of clean laundry, and it is due to negligent policy making by management. In June, members of CUPE 4793 held an information picket outside the long-term care facility on Baseline Road to call out the callous layoffs in the laundry and environmental services department. Since then, management has cut hours for union workers and begun a campaign of retaliation and harassment against union members. Workers have been sent home...

CUPE, ONA and OPSEU to rally against 101 job cuts at the Queensway-Carleton Hospital in Ottawa, as provincial hospital funding cuts hit patient care

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In July, the Queensway-Carleton announced that it would be cutting 101 jobs at the hospital, including 87 nurses, seven housekeepers, and four emergency department personal care aides. The hospital is citing insufficient funding amidst rising costs of operations including drugs, salaries, and supplies. CUPE is joining forces with the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) and OPSEU to hold a rally on August 19 to demand that the hospital reverse the cuts. They are also calli...

Ottawa’s Inaction Lets Smith Destroy Health Care

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal is calling out the Liberal government in Ottawa for its inaction while the UCP dramatically expands private, patient paid health care in the province. “It’s been almost a year since the UCP passed Bill 11, allowing wealthy patients to buy their way to the front of the line for health care services,” said Uppal. “After all that time, Minister Michel this week sent a sternly worded note to the province asking them to change direction...
Back to Newsroom