-

RCMP Public Safety Communicators call on RCMP to reverse privacy violations amid critical staffing shortages

OTTAWA, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE 104, the union representing RCMP telecom operators and intercept monitor analysts, is calling on the RCMP to reverse their approach to employee health evaluations that pose unreasonable invasions against employee privacy.

Last year, the RCMP and Treasury Board introduced a new evaluation process that requires employees to disclose highly personal information in areas irrelevant to the job. The union says it’s become a “fishing expedition” without clear criteria for determining fitness for duty. “This scrutiny goes far beyond what’s needed and violates our members’ privacy rights,” said CUPE 104 President Kathleen Hippern.

Compounding the issue, the new evaluation process replaces much-needed and appreciated in-person psychological assessments by a licensed psychologist with an ineffective paper-based self-reporting form. This shift undermines mental health support—a major concern for CUPE 104 members—further straining already stretched staff. Our members are suffering and need proper mental health support and it’s unconscionable that the RCMP would intentionally do this to them.

Despite a year of efforts to resolve the issue, CUPE 104 has had to escalate a policy grievance to the Federal Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board, but a resolution could take years. Meanwhile, a recruitment and retention crisis continues to deepen.

“This is both humiliating and unnecessary,” said CUPE 104 President Kathleen Hippern. “It only worsens our staffing crisis, creating gaps in service that directly affect Canadians’ safety and security.”

Unlike other police departments across Canada performing similar work, CUPE 104 members must undergo invasive evaluations, setting a troubling precedent. The employer has not shown that these measures are necessary, reasonable, or justified for the job.

CUPE 104 also condemns the lack of consultation regarding these changes, a breach of Article 20 of the collective agreement. “The employer is required to consult with the union before implementing new measures, but that didn’t happen,” Hippern noted. “If this policy goes unchallenged, it sets a dangerous precedent for other public service workers.”

CUPE Local 104 represents nearly 1,000 RCMP Public Safety Communicators, including Telecommunicator Operators and Intercept Monitor Analysts, who work under challenging operational conditions to ensure public safety.

Contacts

Karine Fortin
CUPE Communications
613 290-2593
karinefortin@cupe.ca

CUPE


Release Versions

Contacts

Karine Fortin
CUPE Communications
613 290-2593
karinefortin@cupe.ca

More News From CUPE

PRESS CONFERENCE: Strike Looms at Children’s Aid Society of Toronto as Child Welfare Crisis Deepens

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Now in a legal strike position, and with child welfare services under mounting strain, frontline workers at the Children’s Aid Society of Toronto are speaking out. CUPE Local 2316 is once again sounding the alarm that workers are facing chronic understaffing, program cuts, and years of provincial underfunding have pushed child welfare services to a breaking point — putting children and families at risk. At a press conference on Tuesday, February 17 at 12:30 p.m., union...

Ottawa projected to lose funding for 725 frontline health care staff and nearly 200 hospital beds by 2027-28: new report

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As hospitals cut hundreds of jobs and eliminate vacant positions amidst budgetary constraints imposed by the Conservative government, the largest health care union in Ontario is warning about longer wait-times, rushed care, preventable mistakes, and overcrowded hallways. CUPE released a new research report, “Driven to the brink: projected cuts to intensify Ontario’s hospital crisis,” which contrasts the additional resources required to simply maintain existing service l...

Ford Government passing the buck on university funding – students, workers and economy will pay the price

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Ontario government made a funding announcement today that will continue deep staff cuts, rising tuition fees and increased student debt. “The minister was long on scapegoating, but short on funding. Ontario has the worst university funding in Canada, and he’s passing the blame for his own cuts to other levels of government, and passing more and more of the costs onto the students, who are already graduating with record debt loads,” said Fred Hahn, president of CUPE...
Back to Newsroom