-

Union Sounds Alarm on Ford’s Secret Plans for Privatizing Peel’s Municipal Services

BRAMPTON, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Last year, Doug Ford bowed to pressure from residents, unions and community groups in Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon, who collectively forced him to backtrack on his decision to dissolve the Region of Peel.

But he left his appointed transition board in place, who are working in secret to change the way that public services are delivered in Peel; possible changes include the privatization of water and wastewater treatment, regional road maintenance, and waste management.

At a news conference on Thursday, representatives from CUPE Ontario [and community organization Metamorphosis Network] will outline their objections to the sell-off of Peel’s municipal services and their plans for fighting it.

Speakers at the news conference include representatives of Metamorphosis Network, which represents over 100 non-profit organizations serving health and human services needs in Peel; CUPE 966, with more than 3500 public sector workers in Peel; and CUPE Ontario, which represents 290,000 CUPE workers in the province.

WHO:

Fred Hahn, President, CUPE Ontario

Salil Arya, President, CUPE 966

Sean Meagher, Metamorphosis Network

 

WHAT:

Fighting back of Ford’s secret plans for privatizing Peel’s municipal services

 

WHEN:

Thursday, October 10 at 10am

 

WHERE:

Region of Peel headquarters (west side of building), 10 Peel Centre Drive, Brampton, Ontario

mb/cope491

Contacts

For more information, contact:

Robert Murdoch, CUPE Communications, 416-434-3690 | rmurdoch@cupe.ca
Mary Unan, CUPE Communications, 289-982-3277 | munan@cupe.ca

CUPE


Release Versions

Contacts

For more information, contact:

Robert Murdoch, CUPE Communications, 416-434-3690 | rmurdoch@cupe.ca
Mary Unan, CUPE Communications, 289-982-3277 | munan@cupe.ca

More News From CUPE

CUPE warns Carney government against unprecedented attack on workers’ rights

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE, Canada’s largest union, is warning the federal Liberals against moving on proposals to curb the Charter-protected right to strike and further tilt the balance of power toward major corporations and employers. While CUPE remains open to discussing ways to improve labour relations and preventing conflicts, CUPE National President Mark Hancock says the changes – proposed in a discussion paper as part of a hasty federal consultation on reforming the labour code – seem...

CUPE Ontario warns Carney Liberals: Remember what happens when governments try to remove workers’ right to strike

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ontario’s largest union expressed its shock at federal Liberal proposals to designate more workers “essential” as a way of removing their right to strike and it warned Prime Minister Carney that attempts to abrogate workers’ Charter-protected rights to free collective bargaining would be met with fierce resistance from labour. “The Carney Liberals must have the shortest memories ever,” said CUPE Ontario President Fred Hahn. “They appear to have already forgotten that l...

Number of CUPE long term care locals on strike across NS hits 35

HALIFAX, NS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After six weeks on the picket line, long term care workers continue to show their commitment to their demands. Nearly 3,500 members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) have been on strike since mid April. Workers at MacGillivray Guest House in Sydney are expected to join the strike this week, bringing the total number of striking locals across Nova Scotia to 35. Represented by CUPE 1562, workers will begin their strike on May 22 at 7am at 25 Xavier Dri...
Back to Newsroom