WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Brand USA, the destination marketing organization for the United States, today announced that its board of directors has elected Alice Norsworthy, president of global marketing, Universal Parks & Resorts, as chairwoman. The organization also announced the appointment of two new directors and the reappointment of two directors.
Brand USA is governed by an 11-member board of directors appointed for a maximum of two consecutive three-year terms. Appointments to the Brand USA Board of Directors are made by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce in consultation with the U.S. Secretary of State and the U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security, as provided for in the Travel Promotion Act as amended.
“Coming off 20 months of U.S. borders being closed to international travelers, Brand USA’s global footprint and its storytelling and marketing abilities are vital to the recovery of the U.S. tourism industry,” said Norsworthy. “I appreciate the trust placed in me and my fellow board members by U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo. It’s an honor to serve as Brand USA’s board chair and I look forward to working with my board colleagues, Chris Thompson, and the entire Brand USA team during this pivotal time.”
The newly appointed and reappointed members bring invaluable expertise and fresh, innovative perspectives to the board, which is comprised of representatives from various sectors of the travel and tourism industry. The board provides overall leadership and guidance, aiding Brand USA with critical counsel in its mission and operations. This round of appointments included:
- New appointment: Elliott Ferguson, president & chief executive officer, Destination DC (representing the city convention and visitors’ bureau sector)
- New appointment: Lauren Bailey, chief executive officer and co-founder, Upward Projects (representing the restaurant sector)
- Reappointment: Mark Hoplamazian, president and chief executive officer, Hyatt Hotels Corporation (representing the hotel accommodations sector)
- Reappointment: Todd Davidson, chief executive officer, Travel Oregon (representing one of two officials from a state tourism office)
“We’re so pleased to have Mark and Todd continue to share their expertise as members of the Brand USA Board of Directors and to welcome Lauren and Elliott as our newest members. As international travel and tourism continues to rebound, it’s reassuring to have such a wealth of experience and knowledge on which we can draw,” said Chris Thompson, president and CEO of Brand USA. “In addition to their unique perspectives and leadership, we are also honored to have Alice Norsworthy leading the helm as this year’s board chair. Alice is a leading force in the travel industry and is uniquely poised to aid Brand USA in our mission to draw international travelers back to the USA, guiding the economic rebound for so many destinations. With this talented board, we can accomplish our goal of ensuring the U.S. remains a top priority for international travelers.”
Outgoing Chair Kyle Edmiston, president and CEO for Lake Charles/Southwest Louisiana Convention & Visitors’ Bureau, passes the baton to Norsworthy after serving on the Brand USA Board of Directors from 2015 to 2021 and as board chair over the past year. The board also elected Todd Davidson as vice chair and Mark Hoplamazian as treasurer.
Brand USA’s next board of directors meeting will take place on February 3 in Washington, DC. More information about the board meetings is available at www.TheBrandUSA.com/media-events/board-meetings.
The full board of directors is:
Brand USA Board Chair:
- Alice Norsworthy, president of global marketing, Universal Parks & Resorts
Brand USA Vice Chair:
- Todd Davidson, chief executive officer, Travel Oregon
- Mark Hoplamazian, president and chief executive officer, Hyatt Hotels Corporation
- Tom O’Toole, associate dean for executive education and clinical professor of marketing, Northwestern University
- Noel Irwin Hentschel, chairman and chief executive officer, American Tours International, LLC
- Kristen Esposito, principal, Esposito Global Partners
- Keiko Matsudo Orrall, executive director, Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism
- Donald Moore, senior vice president, business rental sales and global accounts, Enterprise Holdings, Inc.
- Dean Kantaras, owner and managing attorney, K. Dean Kantaras, P.A.
- Elliott Ferguson, president & chief executive officer, Destination DC (representing the city convention and visitors’ bureau sector)
- Lauren Bailey, chief executive officer and co-founder, Upward Projects (representing the restaurant sector)
About Brand USA
Brand USA, the destination marketing organization for the United States, was established by the Travel Promotion Act as the nation’s first public-private partnership to promote the United States as a premier travel destination and to communicate U.S. travel policies and procedures to worldwide travelers. The organization’s mission is to increase international visitation to the USA in order to fuel the U.S. economy and enhance the image of the United States worldwide. Formed as the Corporation for Travel Promotion in 2010, the public-private entity began operations in May 2011 and does business as Brand USA. According to studies by Oxford Economics, over the past eight years, Brand USA’s marketing initiatives have helped welcome 7.7 million incremental visitors to the United States, benefiting the U.S. economy with more than $55.7 billion in total economic impact and supporting, on average, more than 45,000 incremental jobs a year.
To discover more about the USA and the boundless diversity of American travel experiences and authentic, rich culture, please visit Brand USA’s consumer website VisitTheUSA.com and follow Visit The USA on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.