MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Time Out Market Miami opens its doors to the public today, May 9, bringing a new and exciting must-visit destination to Miami Beach. At the food and cultural market, visitors get to enjoy outstanding food from the city’s best chefs and restaurateurs, cocktails from Miami’s award-winning mixologists and stunning artworks by local talent. This is the first Time Out Market to come to North America ahead of openings in New York, Boston, Chicago and Montreal in 2019.
From morning through night, guests can choose from over 100 mouth-watering dishes, savoring Cuban Pastries or Tacos, Shrimp Ceviche or Crackling Maiitake Mushroom with Shishito Peppers, Sushi Bowls or artisan-style pizza, Pastrami Short Rib with Shaved Fennel Caesar or Chicken N Waffles, and more.
Time Out Market Miami spans across 18,000 square feet and features 18 eateries, a demonstration kitchen and three bars, bringing the best of the city together under one roof: its best chefs, drinks and cultural experiences – based on editorial curation.
Located at 1601 Drexel Avenue, just off Miami Beach’s Lincoln Road, the market is open daily from 8am. Some eateries will serve coffee, juice, smoothies and delicious breakfast items; while all vendors open at 11am. From Sunday to Thursday it will close at 11pm, on Friday and Saturday at midnight.
To select Miami’s outstanding culinary talent, local Time Out editors tested and tasted the city’s best food and then invited only the very best chefs to join Time Out Market. The result of this curation is a stellar lineup, offering guests a diverse range of local cuisines – affordable and accessible for all with an average food check per person of around $20:
- Norman Van Aken: James Beard Award winning Chef Norman Van Aken – one of Miami’s top culinary masters with a vast list of accolades – is best known for introducing ‘fusion’ into the lexicon of modern gastronomy and is considered the founding father of New World Cuisine. At Time Out Market Miami – his first foray into a food and cultural market – he presents his K’West concept, featuring a menu that delivers the remarkable taste of South Florida and the Keys with dishes like Shrimp Ceviche ‘Salsa of Life’.
- Jeremy Ford: The critically acclaimed winner of ‘Top Chef Season 13’ is adding to his existing repertoire with his interpretation of Korean flavors at Time Out Market. Diners can expect exceptional, artistic dishes with intense, delicious flavors known from his celebrated Stubborn Seed in Miami Beach.
- Bachour: Recipient of the 2018 ‘Best Pastry Chef Award’ at the Best Chef Awards in Milan, Italy, as well as prestigious culinary honors, Antonio Bachour will satisfy every sweet tooth with his famous patisserie and confections that are as delectable as they are artistic masterpieces.
- Leña by Michael Beltran: Miami born and bred, Michael Beltran, has garnered regional and national acclaim, including ‘Chef of the Year’ and ‘Restaurant of the Year’ for Ariete, which he transformed into a destination in no time. At Time Out Market Miami, he presents Leña featuring dishes like Wood Grilled Pork Chop with Avocado Pumpkin Seed Salsa.
- The Local Cuban by Alberto Cabrera: Miami native, but Cuban to the core, Alberto Cabrera introduces The Local Cuban, serving his award-winning Cuban sandwiches and more. The concept is inspired by the time he spent in the kitchen with his family as a child and his career in the kitchens of some of Miami’s top restaurants as well as his own much-loved establishments.
- Beach Pie: Chef Norman Van Aken offers with his second concept at Time Out Market hand-crafted, artisan-style pizza. Featuring local and seasonal ingredients, each pie reflects his career-long dedication to the South Florida region, and his iconic New World flavor profile. There are five bold pizzas (with gluten-free crust options available), including the Redland CSA, showcasing the bounty of Miami's dynamic agricultural region.
- Coyo Taco: Miami’s trendy taqueria helmed by Scott Linquist, one of the country’s most acclaimed chefs in Mexican cuisine, has a presence in Time Out Market, serving his hugely popular tacos made with locally sourced vegetables and seafood, humanely raised meats, and made-to-order tortillas from a real tortillera.
- KUSH: KUSH is brought to Time Out Market by Matt Kuscher. This is an edgy, integrity-driven award-winning restaurant concept best known for its epicurean, American cuisine featuring locally sourced ingredients. Matt Kuscher is a third-generation restaurateur and the creator of five unique concepts in Miami, a connoisseur of craft beer, local art, and great food made from scratch.
- 33 Kitchen: Named ‘Best Peruvian Restaurant in Miami’ in 2016, 33 Kitchen by Chef Sebastian Fernandez at Time Out Market serves diners Peruvian-inspired dishes combining modern techniques with pristine ingredients. Guests will enjoy dishes like Grilled Octopus with Sweet Potato Puree, Mint and Cilantro Chimichurri.
- Salt & Brine: Christian and Domenica Plotczyk, who redefined Miami’s oyster scene with Ella’s Oyster Bar, introduce Salt & Brine at Time Out Market. This fun raw bar features a curated list of oysters brought in fresh daily to be shucked in front of the guests, highlighting accompaniments to further enhance the oyster.
- Love Life Cafe: Partners in both love and life, Veronica Menin and Diego Tosoni bring their plant-based Love Life Cafe – and their award-winning vegan burger – to Time Out Market Miami. It is all about clean and fresh food without sacrificing a delicious, indulgent dining experience full of flavor.
- Azucar: Suzy Batlle, the Queen of Cuban ice cream, joins Time Out Market Miami with her legendary creamery, serving her most popular flavors, including the trademarked Abuela Maria with vanilla, guava, cream cheese and Maria crackers. There will also be new custom flavors exclusively for the market.
- Pho Mo: Partners Chef Cesar Zapata and Aniece Meinhold bring Pho Mo, a spin on their beloved Viet-Cajun spot Phuc Yea to Time Out Market Miami. The restaurant’s take on traditional Asian cuisine blends Vietnamese techniques and New Orleans’ style Cajun fare to bring forth something truly innovative.
- Wabi Sabi by Shuji: Chef Shuji Hiyakawa is introducing Miami to the most authentic Japanese sushi bowls. At Time Out Market, Chef Shuji compresses his three decades’ worth of experience in Japanese fine dining into signature dishes focused on quality and flawless execution. Diners can customize their experience, with the option to select various bases and sauces.
- Miami Smokers: An urban smokehouse started by Andres Barrientos and James Bowers, Miami Smokers debuts its first Charcuterie Bar at Time Out Market Miami.
- Stephen’s Deli: Stephen’s Deli is a spin-off of Stephen’s Delicatessen – Miami’s oldest and only New York style deli in the area, in operation since 1954. Matt Kuscher took over the spot in 2017 and now brings it to Time Out Market as his second locale at the market.
- Giorgio Rapicavoli: The incredibly talented Giorgio Rapicavoli offers guests a taste of the artfully presented dishes that made his restaurant, Eating House, an instant success and local favorite. Exclusive to Time Out Market Miami will be their Rigatoni Al Pesto.
- Demonstration Kitchen: Time Out Market showcases a rotating lineup of chefs at its demo kitchen – ranging from up-and-coming culinary geniuses to accomplished chefs. The first chef to take a three-month residency is Miami-born, Cuban-American, Chef Miguel Massens. One of South Florida’s most outstanding young culinary talents – also one of Forbes Miami's Best Kept Secret Chefs to Know Right Now and one of Zagat's Under the Radar Chefs to Know in Miami – with a career spanning stints at Michelin-starred restaurants showcases at the market dishes from his forthcoming restaurant, Antilia. Massens draws from South Florida's multicultural community as well as his experience working in kitchens across countries like Spain and Mexico to create dishes such as a Pan-Seared Chochoyote, a vegetarian and Mexican inspired dish including Masa Dumplings in Mole Amarillo, Mushrooms, Spinach and Cojita Cheese.
Time Out Market Miami’s curated mix is what gives visitors a true taste of the city. After exploring and sampling a variety of dishes and drinks from the surrounding kitchens and bars – all served on chinaware with flatware and in glasses – friends and family come together to enjoy their meals at communal tables in the center of Time Out Market.
Didier Souillat, CEO of Time Out Market, commented:
“We look forward to adding a new and truly unique experience to South Beach and making Time Out Market Miami a must-visit destination for both locals and tourists. We bring together Miami’s best chefs and mixologists in an absolutely stunning space in a fantastic neighborhood and we have a passionate team – this mix will ensure that Time Out Market Miami is a place where you get a true taste of the city. Our guests can choose from culinary masterpieces, delicious tacos, vegan fare, sushi bowls, beautiful patisserie and more – there really is something for everyone. We are dedicated to the democratization of fine dining, so everything here is affordable. Now that Time Out Market Miami is open, the hottest tables in town are communal.”
Three bars offering cocktails by the city’s most renowned mixologists
Time Out Market Miami features a main bar in the center of the market, serving innovative craft cocktails, and two side bars with monthly rotating activations. All three bars offer an unparalleled drink menu featuring 15 concoctions created by top local mixologists from some of Miami’s most renowned bars: Broken Shaker, which ranked as the No. 1 bar in America; Sweet Liberty, which ranked in 2018’s World’s 50 Best Bars; the new Generator Hostel Miami, the first U.S. outpost for the major European brand; and Time Out Market’s own specialized bar team. In addition, guests can also choose from 25 wine selections, available by the glass or bottle; six varieties of Champagne and sparkling wine; four beer options by local breweries on tap; and two frozen cocktail options – a frosé and a piña colada – to help beat the heat. Wine by the glass will start from $6 and signature cocktails from $11.
Time Out Market Miami’s design and cultural elements – created
together with local talent
The design of Time Out Market Miami is a reflection of the city, inspired by the style and glamour of the local Art Deco movement, infused with elements of the Time Out Market brand. A visual focal point is a large media wall offering insights into Time Out content around the best things to do in the city – curated by local Time Out editors to inspire visitors. The screen will also present artwork from some of the city's main illustrators, as part of the project 'Time Out Animated Cities'. Miami based Gabriela David (Brazil) and Kiko Rodriguez (Cuba), Joao Fazenda and Bernardo Carvalho (both from Portugal) are among the first artists chosen to portray Miami's exciting landscape. The menu boards are also an artistic element of the market as they aim to do more than just provide information on dishes offered by the chefs, instead they visually represent the food and tell a story – a pillar of the Time Out brand. They also add a cultural twist as they were designed by Chalk and Brush, a team of local artists led by Cinthia Santos and Benjamin Levy.
Time Out Market Miami is part of the global expansion of this
successful culinary phenomenon
Time Out Market is rooted in the heritage of Time Out – a magazine created at a kitchen table in London in 1968 to inspire and enable people to explore and enjoy the best of the city. Since then, Time Out editors have been writing about the best food, drinks and cultural experiences to help people go out better. Today, a global team of local expert journalists is curating the best things to do in 315 cities in 58 countries across websites, magazines, social media and live events. Now this curation is brought to life at Time Out Market.
Julio Bruno, CEO of Time Out Group plc, stated:
“We are very proud to bring Time Out Market to Miami – it is an exciting and vibrant city known for its incredibly diverse food and cultural scene, making it a fantastic fit for our brand. Time Out has helped people go out better in the world’s greatest cities since 1968, it is now synonymous with the best of the city. That is why Time Out Market is the perfect extension of our brand: our curation carries huge respect and trust, and that allows us to bring the very best of the city in a physical location to our audience. Our first Time Out Market in Lisbon has been so successful that we are rolling out this unique format globally, starting with Miami. By the end of 2019, there will be six Time Out Markets, spanning a total of 185,000 square feet, offering almost 4,000 seats and food from 120 of the world’s best chefs.”
In 2014, the editorial team behind Time Out Lisbon turned a historic market building into Time Out Market Lisbon, the world’s first food and cultural market based wholly on editorial curation. Today, it is Portugal’s most popular attraction with 3.9 million visitors in 2018. This hugely successful culinary phenomenon will now expand globally with new Time Out Markets opening in Miami, New York, Boston, Chicago and Montreal in 2019, and with Dubai, London-Waterloo and Prague following later.
What connects all markets is a carefully curated mix of top chefs and restaurateurs, and of culinary and cultural experiences – all housed in unique buildings capturing the soul of the city. However, the execution of each Time Out Market is distinctly local to give a true taste of the city it is in.
Notes to editors
About Time Out Market
Time Out Market is bringing the best of the city together under one roof: its best chefs, drinks and cultural experiences. The world’s first food and cultural market experience based wholly on editorial curation, Time Out Market captures decades of local knowledge, independent reviews and expert opinions. Everything that is being offered in Time Out Market must have been tested, tasted and reviewed and finally selected by independent Time Out journalists.
The first Time Out Market opened in 2014 in a historic market hall in Lisbon and quickly turned into a huge success. This unique format, which is all about making high-quality fine food affordable and accessible for all, is now coming to other great cities around the world as the company is rolling out Time Out Market globally. New Time Out Markets are set to open in Miami, New York, Boston, Chicago and Montreal in 2019 and in Dubai in 2020, London-Waterloo in 2021 and Prague in 2022 (the sites in Montreal, Dubai and Prague are the Group’s first management agreements) – all featuring the cities’ best and most celebrated chefs, restaurateurs, drinks and cultural experiences.
Time Out Market is part of Time Out Group plc, a global media and entertainment business that inspires and enables people to explore and enjoy the best the city. Time Out launched in London in 1968 with a magazine to help people explore the exciting new urban cultures that had started up all over the city. Today, the Group’s digital and physical presence comprises websites, mobile, magazines, Live Events and Time Out Market. Across these platforms Time Out distributes its curated content - written by professional journalists - around the best food, drink, music, theatre, art, travel and entertainment across 315 cities and in 58 countries. Time Out, listed on AIM, is headquartered in the United Kingdom.