SANTA PAULA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The holidays are here, which means everyone is getting ready to celebrate. To help squeeze the most out of this holiday season, the experts at Limoneira Company (NASDAQ: LMNR), a diversified citrus packing, sales and marketing company with related agribusiness activities and real estate development operations, are making a list (and checking it twice) of surprising, easy ways to use citrus to zest up your holiday traditions.
“Available and affordable year round at your nearest grocery store, citrus fruits have long played a role in holiday traditions, from hiding oranges in Christmas stockings to warming up with a hot toddy - and for good reason!” said Megan Roosevelt, spokeswoman for Limoneira’s One World of Citrus and founder of Healthy Grocery Girl. “Citrus fruits are actually at their peak during the winter months and can be used in a surprising number of ways.”
Citrus fruits aren’t just a delicious ingredient for cooking: their bright color, fresh scent and health benefits make them a versatile addition to many holiday traditions. Here are 12 surprising ways to use citrus this year:
- Give the traditional holiday wreath a whole new meaning and surprise dinner guests with this festive, citrus-packed Holiday Citrus Wreath. Edible décor anyone?
- Move aside, boring sugar cookies. These Brown Sugar Lemon Mascarpone Muffins are what Santa is really looking for.
- Add lemon to your water or tea to fight the holiday flu, sooth a sore throat or cure a range of other cold-weather ailments.
- See your chapped lips disappear by mixing a teaspoon each of cream, lemon juice and honey and rub it onto your lips.
- Leave that leftover Thanksgiving turkey in the fridge too long? Place half a lemon in your fridge to help control and eliminate unpleasant smells.
- Get your home ready for company (and clean up after them!) with these all-natural cleaning tips, from polishing copper to making your dishes squeaky clean and lemon-y fresh.
- Get crafty and cozy with this DIY citrus garland tutorial.
- Warm up with a classic hot toddy or entertain your guests with this grapefruit Negroni.
- Lighten up (and brush the snow off the grill!) with this Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad.
- Fuel your chilly day holiday movie marathon with Chili Lime Popcorn – just add a dash of chili powder, cumin, salt and lime zest to your favorite popcorn.
- Stay hydrated and keep off those extra pounds with lemon water.
- Can’t get enough holiday tips? Find hundreds more here.
About Limoneira Company
Limoneira Company, a 125-year-old international agribusiness headquartered in Santa Paula, California, has grown to become one of the premier integrated agribusinesses in the world. Limoneira (pronounced lē mon´âra) is a dedicated sustainability company with 14,500 acres of rich agricultural lands, real estate properties, and water rights in California, Arizona and Chile. The Company is a leading producer of lemons, avocados, oranges, specialty citrus and other crops that are enjoyed throughout the world. For more about Limoneira Company, visit www.limoneira.com.