NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nineteen years ago, the editors of Wine Enthusiast conceived an annual-award program to honor individuals and companies that have contributed to the success of wine in the United States. Over the years, the size and scope of Wine Star Awards have expanded to encompass spirits and to showcase hands-on consumer gatekeepers, such as sommeliers. As the crown jewel of wine trade events, the Wine Star Awards recognizes how multifaceted and rich the beverage culture has become. This year, the gala continues to embrace and acknowledge the trailblazers who are impacting what you put in your glass every day.
“This year’s selection of Wine Star Award winners truly embodies what it takes to forge change and drive vision in the American wine world.” says Editor & Publisher of Wine Enthusiast, Adam Strum. “Over the last nineteen years, Wine Enthusiast has recognized year in and year out the quintessential names that help to move this industry forward. It is our honor to present these sixteen pioneers with the Wine Star trophy in Miami at the new Nobu Eden Roc Hotel.”
- Person of the Year – Bill Newlands, President & COO, Constellation Brands
- Lifetime Achievement – Mel Dick, President Wine Division & Senior VP, Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits, LLC
- American Wine Legend – Warren Winiarski, Founder, Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars; Owner, Arcadia Vineyards
- Cocktail Legend – Dale DeGroff, Bartender; Author; President & Owner, Dale DeGroff Co., Inc.
- Social Visionary of the Year – Deborah Brenner, Founder & CEO, Women of the Vine & Spirits
- Wine Executive of the Year – Alex Ryan, President & CEO, Duckhorn Wine Company
- Winemaker of the Year – Adam Mettler, Winemaker, Mettler Family Vineyards; Director of Wine Operations, Michael David Winery
- Importer of the Year – Cape Classics
- Innovator of the Year – Terry Wheatley, President, Vintage Wine Estates
- American Winery of the Year – Riboli Family of San Antonio Winery
- European Winery of the Year – González Byass
- New World Winery of the Year – Bodega Garzón
- Wine Region of the Year – Champagne, France
- Retailer of the Year – Wally’s Wine & Spirits
- Sommelier / Wine Director of the Year – June Rodil, MS - Sommelier, McGuire Moorman Hospitality Group
- Spirit Brand /Distiller of the Year – Diplomático Rum
The winners will be celebrated at the 19th annual Wine Star Awards Dinner in Miami, Florida at Nobu Eden Roc on Monday, January 28th, 2019. To attend or RSVP please contact Jen Cortellini at firstname.lastname@example.org. To read in-depth profiles of the Wine Star Award winners, pick up the Best of Year Issue of Wine Enthusiast magazine hitting newsstands on December 4th, 2018 or online at WineMag.com. To join the social conversation follow @WineEnthusiast on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook with the hashtag #WineStarAwards.
About Wine Enthusiast Magazine
Wine Enthusiast’s approach to wine and spirits is accessible and unpretentious, and enjoyed by novices and experts alike. Published 13 times per year, the magazine’s audience is at nearly one million strong. The magazine and its Buying Guide with more than 200,000 ratings and reviews make up the most comprehensive database in the industry available for free online at www.WineMag.com.