OLDWICK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In this A.M.BestTV episode at the Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc.’s (RIMS) conference in San Antonio, TX, a panel of insurance and risk management executives said more insured are becoming aware and asking for broader coverage of the many forms of loss that can be triggered when an organization’s network is compromised. Click on http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=rims5418 to view the entire program.
The European Union’s (EU) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a law coming into force on May 25 on data protection and privacy for all individuals in the EU, as well as the export of personal data outside the EU. Emy Donavan, global head, cyber, Allianz, spoke about GDPR and how it will change the way in which businesses handle customer data.
“GDPR really represents a very, very new threat for our insureds because it includes not just the necessity of notifying a client, but the right of a client to be forgotten,” said Donavan. “This means a company has got to map all of its data and know within its systems where that data resides, as well as have that data on systems that can actually be in some way modified or deleted. That presents, especially for insureds with legacy operations, a pretty significant challenge.”
The panel also addressed the issue of risk mitigation.
“You got to start and treat it as an operational risk,” said Bob Parisi, managing director, Marsh. “If you don't, and you keep it as a technology risk and limit it there, you're asking for trouble. You're ignoring the right way to deal with a fundamental risk of doing business.”
Other people that appear in this episode:
- Sam Levine, vice president, professional risk solutions, Aon; and
- Scott Stransky, assistant vice president, director emerging risks modeling, AIR Worldwide.
For full video coverage of RIMS, including exclusive executive interviews, visit http://www.ambest.tv/rims18.
Recent episodes of A.M.BestTV include:
- Most Effective Catastrophe Work Occurs Pre-Storm, Say Insurance Leaders: At the RIMS conference, a panel of property/casualty leaders said the series of catastrophe losses in 2017 highlight the need to invest in loss prevention, better engineering and clear explanations of deductibles: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=rims4418.
- Data and Analytics Leaders Reveal Their Biggest Challenge: Show Me the ROI: At the RIMS conference, experts in risk-focused data and analytics said tools and availability are advancing rapidly, but their biggest hurdle remains converting data into useful, actionable information: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=rims3418.
- As Insurers’ Range of Competitors Widens, Leaders Say Scaling Up Matters: At the RIMS conference, a panel of property/casualty and reinsurance leaders said the industry may be in for additional mergers and acquisitions as insurers respond to escalating customer needs and new forms of competition, including from capital markets: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=rims1418.
- No Company Will Ever be Done With Enterprise Risk Management, Says A.M. Best Managing Director: Jim Gillard, managing director, criteria, research and analytics, A.M. Best, talks about how enterprise risk management is evolving for insurers and how that affects insurers' financial strength: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=rimswalkup418.
A.M.BestTV covers exclusive A.M. Best information and reports, targeted topics and key developments in the (re)insurance industry every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Sign up for alerts of episodes at http://www.ambest.com/multimedia/ambtvsignup.html. View A.M.BestTV episodes at http://www.ambest.tv.
A.M. Best is the world’s oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.com.
Copyright © 2018 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. and/or its affiliates. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.