MADISON, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With the first day of spring right around the corner, gardeners across North America are eager to get their hands dirty and begin planting in their community plots. Fiskars, a leading global supplier of consumer products for the home, garden and outdoors, is ready to lend a helping hand and announce the recipients of the 2018 Project Orange Thumb garden grants. Out of more than 650 applications submitted, 30 recipients were selected to each receive $3,500 in gift cards and tools to support their own community gardens.
Fiskars’ Project Orange Thumb has provided over $1.7 million to more than 240 community groups in the 16 years since the program was started. With the goal of strengthening community ties, growing healthy food and beautifying community gardens across North America, Fiskars is proud to offer grants and tools to support local, hand-grown food sources.
“Each neighborhood deserves a special place to grow together, both through the gardens they cultivate and the community they build,” said Fiskars Global President Paul Tonnesen. “We’re proud to be able to create such a space with our Project Orange Thumb community garden grant program.”
Garden grant recipients include:
- Atlantic General Hospital, Berlin, Md.
- Bolivar Richburg Central School, Bolivar, N.Y.
- Children’s Mercy, Kansas City, Miss.
- Da Baca Clinic, Fort Sumner, N.M.
- Dalhousie Elementary, Calgary, Alta.
- Eagle Mountain, Bozeman, Mo.
- Environmental Charter Schools, Gardena, Calif.
- Fairview Community Watch, Hillsborough, N.C.
- Fiddlehead Care Farm (FCF), Mono, Ont.
- Glen Stephens Elementary, Madison, Wis.
- Government Hill Neighborhood, Anchorage, Ala.
- Hilltop Preschool, Columbus, Ohio
- Hoover Elementary, Oakland, Calif.
- Hop Brook Elementary, Naugatuck, Conn.
- Keep Tupelo Beautiful, Tupelo, Miss.
- Lake Cares, Tavares, Fla.
- Lakeshore Women’s Resource Centre, Asherm, Man.
- Maine General Health, Augusta, Maine
- Queens Center for Progress, Bolivar, N.Y.
- RSU School #22, Hamden, Maine
- Rumball, Milton, Ont.
- Seedleaf, Lexington, Ky.
- Sidney Central School District, Sidney, N.Y.
- Skippack Learning Garden, Collegeville, Pa.
- The Bloom Group, Vancouver, B.C.
- The Disciple Garden, Kansas City, Kan.
- The Gardens at Chillicothe Hospital, Chillicothe, Mo.
- The Lotus, Ottawa, Ont.
- Waterville Boys Club, Waterville, Maine
- Webb Elementary School, Franklin, Ind.
Since its establishment in 1649, Fiskars Group has grown to be a leading functional and living products company with a strong brand portfolio, including Fiskars, Iittala, Gerber, Wedgewood and Waterford. Fiskars Group has employees in over 30 countries and is headquartered in Finland. With over 1 billion Orange-handled Scissors sold, Fiskars has grown to be the World’s #1 Scissors Brand. Fiskars promotes achievement and self-expression by focusing on easy to use, innovative tools to make gardening, cooking and crafting more enjoyable. Fiskars Americas is headquartered in Wisconsin. Please visit www.fiskars.com.