OLATHE, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Garmin International, Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), today announced ActiveCaptain™, a free all-in-one mobile app for mariners that delivers a seamless content management system with unlimited access to cartography, automatic delivery of the latest software available, off-vessel planning capabilities, connected services and so much more in one simple, yet powerful application.
“ActiveCaptain blends features our customers know and love from our existing apps – Garmin Helm™ and BlueChart® Mobile – and adds enhanced connectivity, community and planning functionality for the ultimate connected boat ecosystem,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of global consumer sales. “Staying connected on and off the water is important to our customers, so we’re excited to deliver a one-app approach that’ll keep them connected to their Garmin electronics, cartography and the marine community.”
Whether out on the water or planning the next trip, mariners can utilize the ActiveCaptain app as a one-stop-shop to manage their experiences from nearly anywhere, including:
- OneChart – Access, update and purchase maps and charts from the OneChart storefront from a mobile device at any time.
- Smart Notifications – Stay connected to the world with calls, text messages and more shown on the chartplotter display while the phone is stowed away, safe and dry.
- ActiveCaptain Community – See what others are saying with access to up-to-date feedback from the boating community on marinas, reported hazards and other POIs in the area.
- Planning – Make, save and transfer routes and waypoints between the app and the chartplotter with zero button presses.1
- Mobile Quickdraw Community – Easily upload and download the latest community-made Quickdraw™ Contours chart and map content.
- Sync User Data – Automatically synchronize marked waypoints and routes between the app and chartplotter.
- Over-the-Air Software Updates – Once the app is paired with the chartplotter, notifications and update details combined with seamless delivery eliminate the need to transport updates from desktops via an SD card.
- View and Control – View and control your chartplotter from your smartphone or tablet from anywhere on the boat.
The ActiveCaptain app is available as a free download from either the App Store or on Google Play. It’s compatible with a range of Garmin chartplotters and MFDs, including the new ECHOMAP™ Plus 6cv, 7cv, 7sv and 9sv; the new STRIKER™ Plus 7cv, 7sv and 9sv; as well as the GPSMAP® 7x2/9x2, 10x2/12x2, 7400/7600, 8000/8200 and the 8400/8600 series. To learn more, visit www.activecaptain.garmin.com.
Garmin is the world’s leading marine electronics manufacturer2 and was recently named Manufacturer of the Year for the third consecutive year by the NMEA, an honor given to the most recognized marine electronics company for support of products in the field. Garmin’s portfolio includes some of the industry’s most sophisticated chartplotters and touchscreen multifunction displays, sonar technology, high-definition radar, autopilots, high-resolution mapping, sailing instrumentation, and other products and services that are known for innovation, reliability, and ease-of-use.
For decades, Garmin has pioneered new GPS navigation and wireless devices and applications that are designed for people who live an active lifestyle. Garmin serves five primary business units, including automotive, aviation, fitness, marine, and outdoor recreation. For more information, visit Garmin's virtual pressroom at garmin.com/newsroom, contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200, or follow us at facebook.com/garmin, twitter.com/garmin, or youtube.com/garmin.
1 Zero button presses applies to GPSMAP chartplotters only.
2 Based upon 2016 gross sales.
About Garmin International Inc.
Garmin International Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN). Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in Switzerland, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. Garmin, BlueChart and GPSMAP are registered trademarks and ActiveCaptain, Garmin Helm, Quickdraw, ECHOMAP and STRIKER are trademarks of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
Notice on Forward-Looking Statements:
This release includes forward-looking statements regarding Garmin Ltd. and its business. Such statements are based on management’s current expectations. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this release may not occur and actual results could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting Garmin, including, but not limited to, the risk factors listed in the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2016, filed by Garmin with the Securities and Exchange Commission (Commission file number 0-31983). A copy of such Form 10-K is available at http://www.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRelations/finReports.html. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Garmin undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.