SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ: AMZN) – Amazon today announced that small businesses and entrepreneurs on Amazon sold more than 2 billion items in a record-breaking first half of 2017. With more than 300 million active customers, Amazon offers small businesses the opportunity to reach shoppers in more than 180 countries around the world. Small businesses are also able to use Amazon’s world-class fulfillment and customer service expertise through Fulfillment by Amazon.
“We started working with small businesses to sell online back in 2000 and have helped hundreds of thousands achieve success. Amazon Marketplace has grown so significantly that sales by small businesses now account for over half of the unit sales on Amazon sites around the world, and 2017 is off to a record-start with over 2 billion units sold,” said Peter Faricy, Vice President for Amazon Marketplace. “We love hearing the stories from these small business owners who are able to quit their day jobs to sell on Amazon full-time, hire more employees to grow their business, and, in many cases, start other businesses – it’s very energizing for Amazonians to know that the technology we are building is helping so many people pursue their dreams.”
Facts about the Amazon Marketplace:
- Amazon has 11 marketplaces around the world for small businesses and entrepreneurs to reach customers.
- More than half of the items sold on Amazon worldwide are from small businesses and entrepreneurs that offer their products through Amazon Marketplace, many of whom also choose to use Fulfillment by Amazon as a way of making their items Prime eligible.
- More than 100,000 entrepreneurs achieved over $100,000 in sales selling on Amazon in 2016.
- According to an Amazon economic study, sellers have created over 600,000 new jobs outside of Amazon.
- Small businesses and entrepreneurs selling on Amazon come from every state in the U.S., and from more than 130 different countries around the world.
- Amazon sellers fulfilled orders to customers in 185 countries in 2016.
- The Prime Day 2017 event grew by more than 60 percent over last year – sales growth by small businesses and entrepreneurs was even higher
“Being able to sell on Amazon has been paramount in driving massive amounts of sales and customer visibility, allowing us to build brand awareness where customers shop,” said Kelly Fedio, founder of One Savvy Life, based in Redondo Beach, Calif. “Since we started in 2014, we have successfully introduced several products to customers on Amazon, including our original best-selling infusion water bottle. Amazon has played an instrumental role in helping us launch our small business and grow into an enduring brand.”
Businesses interested in selling on Amazon can visit http://services.amazon.com. To view inspiring stories of inventors, authors, and small business owners who are transforming their lives and pursuing their dreams with Amazon, check out Transformations.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.