MALVERN, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Applied Energy Systems (AES), provider of high and ultra high purity gas systems, services, and solutions – including design, manufacturing, testing, installation, and expert field service – has received a third contract with Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) to support the gas handling requirements for its experimental beamlines. The research laboratory boasts one of the most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis, enabling the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and sensitivity. Under the new contract, AES will provide systems and services to build out a complex, comprehensive Gas Handling System (GHS) for its X-Ray Powder Diffraction (XPD) Beamline.
The lab’s innovative beamline experimentation utilizes a variety of inert, toxic, highly toxic, corrosive, flammable, pyrophoric, and other hazardous classified gases that require flexible, safe delivery to the sample environments where experiments take place. While AES has been able to meet much of those needs with systems from its VERSA-GAS™ line of vSource™ Gas Source Systems, including gas cabinets, gas panels, and rack mount systems, it has also developed a suite of custom-engineered equipment, or Applied Solutions, to work optimally within the lab’s environment and support distinct experimental demands.
As part of the comprehensive GHS, AES will supply:
- Fully and Semi Automatic VERSA-GAS™ vSource™ Gas Cabinets, as well as vSource™ Gas Panels and vSource™ Rack Mount Systems.
- Multiple custom systems developed through its Applied Solutions process, including Mass Flow Controller systems and temperature-controlled bubbler enclosures.
- A custom Toxic Gas Detection System for continuous toxic gas monitoring, which integrates fully with the lab’s gas Facility Monitoring System and includes remote and locally mounted tricolor light trees and audible alarms to indicate system status and warning.
- A customized Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) for safety monitoring, designed to interact with and monitor each sub-system of the GHS.
- A full suite of Applied Services to ensure the GHS will operate effectively within the lab, including ultra high purity interconnect piping, equipment installation, commissioning, and training.
The unique project not only entails custom design and engineering work, but also extensive documentation, acceptance testing, and reporting required by the government laboratory. AES’ decades of experience in fabs and labs streamlines the process and ensures adherence to protocol at every stage.
“We are thrilled to continue to support the exciting innovation taking place at Brookhaven National Laboratory,” said Jim Murphy, General Manager of Applied Energy Systems. “We understand how critical gas purity and precision are to experimental environments such as the National Synchrotron Light Source II facility and we are dedicated to providing researchers with the safe, comprehensive gas delivery solutions to help them achieve accurate results and ultimately drive scientific breakthroughs.”
About Applied Energy Systems
Applied Energy Systems (AES) is the premier provider of high and ultra high purity gas systems, services, and solutions. Since 1968, customers have turned to AES for high-value systems engineering– including design, manufacturing, testing, and field services. Whether equipment requirements are driven by regulation, innovation, or both, AES brings together its specialized engineering capabilities and vast scope of product offerings to create the gas delivery solutions that meet business-critical process demands.
With two industry-leading equipment divisions, SEMI-GAS® and VERSA-GAS™, AES addresses high purity and ultra high purity gas delivery needs for a diverse range of rigorous applications, including semiconductors and electronics, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, photovoltaics, manufacturing, research laboratories, universities and more. For more information, visit www.appliedenergysystems.com.