SHENZHEN, China--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA) today announced that RMB 120.7 billion (USD 17.8 billion) of gross merchandise volume (GMV) was settled through Alipay on Alibaba's China and international retail marketplaces on November 11, 2016. Mobile GMV settled through Alipay accounted for 82 percent of total GMV.
"This year’s 11.11 is a preview of the future of retail, where entertainment, commerce and interactive engagement intersect seamlessly,” said Daniel Zhang, chief executive officer of Alibaba Group. “From the kick-off of warm-up activities to last night’s countdown gala and all the way through the 24-hour global shopping festival itself, we’ve seen unprecedented engagement between consumers and merchants. 11.11 showcased how online and offline retail will be reinvented to offer brand new shopping experiences to our hundreds of millions of mobile, digitally savvy active users.”
Key highlights from the 2016 11.11 Global Shopping Festival
- Total GMV settled through Alipay was RMB 120.7 billion (USD 17.8 billion), an increase of 32 percent compared to 20151
- Total mobile GMV settled through Alipay was RMB 99 billion (USD 14.6 billion), representing approximately 82 percent of total GMV, compared to 69 percent last year
- Alibaba Cloud processed 175,000 orders per second at peak
- Alipay processed more than 1 billion payment transactions in total, and processed 120,000 transactions per second at peak
- Cainiao Network processed more than 657 million delivery orders placed on Alibaba’s China and international retail marketplaces
This year was Alibaba’s most global 11.11 shopping festival since the inception of the event in 2009, offering Chinese consumers access to brands and products from businesses of all sizes around the world. Highlights from the 2016 Global Shopping Festival include:
- 235 countries and regions with completed cross-border transactions
- 37% of total buyers purchased from international brands or merchants
- Top countries selling to China by GMV included: Japan, United States, South Korea, Australia, Germany
- Top US brands by GMV included: Apple, Nike, New Balance, Playboy, Skechers
- Top European brands by GMV included: Siemens, Philips, Adidas, Jack Jones, Only
- Top Japanese brands by GMV included: Uniqlo, Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, SK-II
- Top Australian and New Zealand brands by GMV included: Jeanswest, UGG, Swisse, Macro, Blackmores
For additional content from the event, please follow the Alibaba Group official Twitter account at www.twitter.com/AlibabaGroup, or visit the Media Resources page on Alibaba corporate news site Alizila with background, factsheets and content related to this year’s 11.11.
GMV for the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival is the total value of orders settled through Alipay on Alibaba’s China and international retail marketplaces. It is reported on a real-time basis and includes shipping charges paid (where applicable). Transactions related to international brands, defined as brands created outside of Mainland China, and user data are limited to Tmall.
Data related to payment transactions and logistic orders are provided by Alipay and Cainiao Network respectively.
All GMV, mobile GMV and other figures presented in this press release are unaudited and subject to adjustments.
1 Alibaba Group's operating results disclosed in this press release are denominated in RMB; year-over-year comparisons and growth rates are calculated on the basis of RMB amounts and are not affected by foreign exchange rate fluctuations.
About the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival
The 11.11 shopping festival began in 2009 with participation from just 27 merchants as an event for Tmall.com merchants and consumers to raise awareness of the value in online shopping. Seven years later, 11.11 has become a global event with participating merchants in the tens of thousands, buyers in the millions, and total sales in the billions.
For additional history and facts from last year’s festival, as well as the latest news and updates on the 2016 11.11 Global Shopping Festival, please visit Alizila http://www.alizila.com.
About Alibaba Group
Alibaba Group’s mission is to make it easy to do business anywhere. The company aims to build the future infrastructure of commerce. It envisions that its customers will meet, work and live at Alibaba, and that it will be a company that lasts at least 102 years.