WALTHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Vistaprint, a leading online provider of professional marketing products and services to micro business owners, today announced the results of a new global survey focused on women-owned businesses, the issues they face, the tools they need and future trends to be expected. The survey, which polled more than 1,200 respondents across the U.S. and U.K., uncovered that, despite operational challenges, female micro business owners still have a positive outlook on what the future holds.
63 percent of U.S. women say starting a business allowed them to take
The majority of female micro business owners have fulfilled their goals as a result of starting their own business and are optimistic about the future:
- More than three-quarters of respondents (78 percent) would recommend starting their own business to someone else.
- 72 percent of female micro business owners feel women have more opportunities available to them than in previous generations.
- 69 percent of female micro business owners expect more financial success for their business in the next year, with 62 percent of these owners planning to continue this growth over the next five years.
“Running my own business has absolutely helped me fulfill the goals I set out to accomplish,” said a female owner of a marketing agency. “I have control over my schedule, I choose the work I want to do, the types of clients I’d like to work with, and I never miss my children’s events. That’s very important to me.”
Still looking for support
In spite of the many opportunities owning a micro business has brought to women in the U.S., many are still looking for additional help to grow their business. From marketing to mentoring, respondents provided insights into their biggest challenges:
- More than half of women-owned micro business respondents (52 percent) listed managing day-to-day operations as their biggest difficulty, while 47 percent cited developing new business opportunities being a critical component to their success.
- 39 percent of respondents felt they would be most helped by having more networking and mentoring opportunities.
- In a close race for third place, 35 percent of female micro business owners felt that receiving tax incentives or credits would greatly help them succeed.
“The results of our survey reaffirmed the many benefits achieved by women-owned micro businesses today, but they also underscored the importance of having the proper tools and business support to keep these entrepreneurs ahead of the competition,” said Trynka Shineman, president of Vistaprint. “Our goal is to continue innovating our solutions to equip these micro businesses – which are the heart and soul of our local economy – with what they need to be successful so they can then encourage other female entrepreneurs to follow their dreams and start businesses of their own.”
More information and the full survey, including a breakdown of both the U.S. and U.K. results, can be found here.
Vistaprint is a global e-commerce brand empowering more than 16 million micro business owners to professionally promote their business with quality printed and digital marketing products at an affordable price. Our world-class online design studio allows customers to easily customize their products including business cards, marketing materials, signage, promotional products, apparel, websites, digital marketing, cards and stationery at www.vistaprint.com. Our patented printing technique allows us to maximize efficiency and consistently deliver quality and value to customers. This innovative process is supported by 25 localized websites serving various global markets; world-class manufacturing facilities around the globe, including North America, Western Europe, Australia and India; and thousands of employees in offices worldwide. Vistaprint is a Cimpress (Nasdaq: CMPR) brand.