GUAM & HANOVER, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DOCOMO PACIFIC has selected Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN) to build Guam’s first 200G network to deliver high-speed services for enterprise, government and carrier customers. Powered by Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, this network will link all major communications hubs on the island, including three cable landing stations, via a ring-protected, underground fiber optic backbone.
- Since merging with Marianas Cablevision in 2013, DOCOMO PACIFIC has made significant investments to enhance its hybrid fiber-coax and 3G/4G wireless backhaul network by increasing the number of fiber optic cables along all of its routes. The company has also made the strategic choice to bury its backbone fiber network and implement a ring-protected architecture to ensure resiliency.
- With a new all-fiber optical core, powered by Ciena’s WaveLogic3 Extreme chipset, DOCOMO PACIFIC can now transport high-bandwidth traffic across a protected network with buried fiber and offer a flexible mix of 10G and 100GE services over a single 200G wavelength.
- With the new 200G network, DOCOMO PACIFIC has the capacity and agility to quickly turn up new high-speed network services, delivering twice as many services per wavelength to meet customer needs using the same amount of spectrum previously required for 100G services.
- With this network, DOCOMO PACIFIC will deliver high-bandwidth and Big Data services to enterprise and government customers on Guam, while also providing high speed (10/40/100G) cross-connect services at cable landing stations to international carriers.
“As the largest service provider in Guam, DOCOMO PACIFIC is committed
to providing industry-leading solutions and technology to our
customers. Our investment in Ciena’s proven 200G packet-optical
technology to power our new network demonstrates that commitment, and
provides us significant market advantage. We are pleased to be the
first to offer a range of speeds, including those that exceed 100G, to
customers in Guam.”
- Jonathan Kriegel, President and CEO, DOCOMO PACIFIC
“As a critical communications gateway between APAC and North America,
Guam is a strategic commercial hub for local and international
businesses, governments, and military. As data needs increase along
this route, it is critical that service providers like DOCOMO PACIFIC
make strategic investments in their networks to support demand and
withstand extreme weather conditions. With a high-capacity, 6500-based
network, DOCOMO PACIFIC supports a simplified network architecture
with the resiliency, robustness and flexibility to deliver maximum
- Jason Phipps, General Manager and Vice President, North American Sales, Ciena
- Product Overview: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: WaveLogic Photonics
- Brochure: New Coherent Chipsets for a Web-scale World
- Video: WaveLogic 3 Extreme
About DOCOMO PACIFIC
A wholly-owned subsidiary of Japan telecommunications giant, NTT DOCOMO, DOCOMO PACIFIC was originally a merger of Guamcell Communications and HafaTel prior to acquisition in December 2006 by NTT DOCOMO. This acquisition allowed NTT DOCOMO the opportunity to share its world-leading technology with the region as evidenced by significant investments and upgrades in DOCOMO PACIFIC. In October 2008, DOCOMO PACIFIC was first on Guam to introduce the fastest and only 3.5G network. In November 2011, DOCOMO PACIFIC launched 4G HSPA+ service on Guam followed by the launch of advanced 4G LTE service in October 2012.
On 22 May 2013, DOCOMO PACIFIC officially merged with MCV Broadband and is now Guam and the CNMI's leading provider of telecommunications and entertainment services. With combined offerings to include the latest mobile services, television, internet and telephone services to residential, business, government and carrier customers in the region, DOCOMO PACIFIC continues to enhance the diversified range of services available to its customers. For more information on DOCOMO PACIFIC, please visit www.docomopacific.com.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or LinkedIn. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on September 9, 2015. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.