MINNETONKA, Minn. & ROCHESTER, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Medica and Mayo Clinic today announced a new health plan for individuals and families in southern Minnesota that comes at a lower cost than other available options. The plan, Medica with Mayo Clinic, is available for a January 1, 2015, effective date and can be purchased both on and off MNsure, Minnesota’s public health insurance exchange. This health plan expands options for consumers seeking Mayo Clinic care in Rochester and throughout Southern Minnesota at a lower cost than other available options and at the lowest price in southeast Minnesota on the MNsure exchange.
Under this relationship, Medica provides the health insurance. The plan includes medical care at Mayo Clinic and throughout Mayo Clinic Health System, as well as Northfield Hospitals & Clinics and Winona Health.
“Medica and Mayo Clinic are committed to making care more affordable and accessible in the region and this is one example of those efforts,” said Dannette Coleman, Medica senior vice president for individual and family business. “As a result of those efforts, we are able to deliver that care at a cost that is lower than the rest of the market.”
“We constantly strive to make Mayo Clinic care more accessible and affordable in the communities we serve. Through this arrangement, consumers can get the Mayo Clinic care they want and need to support their health and wellness and get it at a lower cost,” says Brian Whited, M.D. vice-chair of operations for Mayo Clinic Health System.
The focus of the plan is to provide a seamless care experience from the insurer and the provider with an emphasis on whole-person, comprehensive care. Consumers who purchase the plan will have access to Mayo Clinic’s knowledge and resources and will also have:
- A Team of Providers. Personalized care from a team of providers based on their unique needs. Most teams include physicians, nurse practitioners and other types of providers, all focused on delivering exactly the care each member needs.
- 24/7 Access to a Nurse. Members can call their Mayo Clinic nurse line any time of day or night for help with health issues. Some common issues can even be treated over the phone.
- Coordinated Care. After a hospital stay or emergency room visit, members receive personalized support in scheduling a follow-up appointment with a primary care provider.
- By using Mayo Clinic’s Patient Online Services, members have a secure and convenient way to access their health information and connect with their care team.
- Access to care provided by the top hospital for 2014-2015 in the nation as ranked by U.S. News and World Report.
- Access to the Medica-Novu portal. The portal features an array of online personalized wellness programs as well as discounts for gym memberships and personal trainers.
- Health Advocate. This service provides independent and confidential assistance to members. Health Advocates can help members find a physician, understand benefits, schedule doctor appointments and clarify billing statements.
Medica with Mayo Clinic is available to residents of 18 southern MN counties: Blue Earth, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Le Sueur, Martin, Mower, Nicollet, Olmsted, Rice, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan and Winona. The product is available with the exact same cost sharing (metal level and copay vs. Health Savings Accounts) options on and off MNsure. The available plan design options are Gold, Silver, Bronze and Catastrophic, with self-only deductibles starting at $300 and family deductibles starting at $900. The plans also include 100 percent (no deductible) coverage for preventive care. Copay plans have office visit and specialty copays at $30 or $60, Mayo Express Care is a $10 copay, and generic drugs are a $10 (or less) copay.
Serving about 1.5 million members, Medica is a health insurance company headquartered in Minneapolis and active in the Upper Midwest. The non-profit company provides health care coverage in the employer, individual, Medicaid, Medicare and Medicare Part D markets in Minnesota and a growing number of counties in North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Medica also offers national network coverage to employers who also have employees outside the Medica regional network.
Medica’s vision is to become the community’s health plan of choice, trusted for its integrity, respected for its service, and admired for its commitment to innovation and efficiency.
About Mayo Clinic
Recognizing 150 years of serving humanity in 2014, Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit worldwide leader in medical care, research and education for everyone who needs healing. For more information, visit http://www.mayoclinic.org/ and mayoclinichealthsystem.org.
Mayo Clinic Health System consists of Mayo-owned clinics, hospitals and other health care facilities that serve the health care needs of people in more than 70 communities in Georgia, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. The community-based providers, paired with the resources and expertise of Mayo Clinic, enable patients in the region to receive the highest-quality health care close to home.