SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--At its Innovate Developer Conference 2011, eBay Inc. announced that X.commerce, the new open commerce ecosystem that connects developers and merchants by offering a complete collection of commerce capabilities, has added a wide range of technology assets from the eBay portfolio. These new technologies complement the existing assets from the eBay Marketplaces division and PayPal, as well as the Magento technologies that form part of X.commerce.
X.commerce offers the ecosystem developers need to create new solutions to meet today’s social, local, mobile and digital-driven commerce. In a single, flexible and open environment, X.commerce provides the perfect foundation to develop the technologies required for commerce, such as shopping carts, payment services, inventory management, marketplace integrations, SEO and tax management.
The technology assets in the eBay Inc. portfolio collectively represent the most robust, scalable, commerce platforms currently available in the retail industry. They offer developers the opportunity to create new applications and capabilities that play perfectly into evolving consumer shopping practices. These assets, which will be available on X.commerce, include:
- Magento, the feature-rich, open-source e-commerce solution, launched a new version of Magento Connect: The Magento Extension Marketplace. The new offering enables developers to generate additional revenue by easily creating and offering extensions to the rapidly growing customer base for Magento Go, the SaaS solution introduced in March of 2011. Magento Connect, already the largest vertical e-commerce application marketplace in the world, now enables merchants using any version of Magento to more easily customize and enhance every area of their storefront and back end, including integration with other web services.
- The newly opened API from Milo allows developers to create apps that localize the benefits of online shopping by searching the inventory of local stores in real-time. With Milo, developers everywhere can harness the power of local commerce for their app or website.
- RedLaser, the free barcode scanning application for mobile comparison shopping, is previewing a new iOS application offering a refreshed look and new features. Available in time for the holiday shopping season, RedLaser 3.0 brings to the X.commerce ecosystem the ability to research, shop and buy locally through the first integration of eBay Inc.’s top mobile APIs – Milo local, PayPal Mobile Express Checkout and RedLaser.
- With thousands of apps already available on the Android Market, Zong’s SDK makes it easier for developers to get paid on the Android platform. X.commerce developers can quickly implement Zong as a payment option into their Android app, allowing users to pay with a mobile phone number and pin—without ever leaving the app.
- The eBay Mobile iOS SDK will be available soon to developers in the X.commerce ecosystem who have an eBay Developer Program account. The iOS SDK will contain APIs to help developers build mobile apps specifically designed to enhance the eBay selling and buying experiences.
“Consumers are adopting new technologies that are changing the way they shop,” said Matthew Mengerink, Vice President and General Manager, X.commerce. “X.commerce gives merchants the ability to keep pace and deliver new and innovative shopping experiences. The eBay technology assets now available through X.commerce offer a wide range of commerce capabilities on which to develop, and we look forward to seeing innovations that shape the future of commerce.”
eBay, eBay Inc., X.commerce, Magento, Red Laser, Milo, Zong, eBay Mobile, John Donahoe, Matthew Mengerink
X.commerce brings together the technology assets and developer communities of eBay, PayPal and Magento to support eBay Inc.’s mission of enabling commerce. Through our ecosystem of developers, partners and tools, merchants now have access to open commerce technology to scale and grow their businesses.
About eBay Inc.
Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay Inc. (NASDAQ:EBAY) is about enabling commerce. We do so through eBay, the world's largest online marketplace, which allows users to buy and sell in nearly every country on earth; through PayPal, which enables individuals and businesses to securely, easily and quickly send and receive online payments; and through GSI, which facilitates ecommerce, multichannel retailing and digital marketing for global enterprises. X.commerce brings together the technology assets and developer communities of eBay, PayPal and Magento, an ecommerce platform, to support eBay Inc.’s mission of enabling commerce. We also reach millions through specialized marketplaces such as StubHub, the world's largest ticket marketplace, and eBay classifieds sites, which together have a presence in more than 1,000 cities around the world. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com