The world's largest edible egg is 27 feet 3 inches tall, 21 feet wide, and weighs 4,299 pounds. Guinness World Records has certified the endeavor by Belgian chocolate maker Guylian.
Twenty-six Guylian master chocolate makers took eight days and used a total of 50,000 Guylian Praline chocolate bars - which feature the company's signature marbled seashell chocolates - to construct the egg. Metal scaffolding with wooden panels created a "shell" to support the egg, a feat of engineering and culinary know-how. All chocolate used was produced at Guylian's factory and headquarters in Sint-Niklaas.
"Guylian is proud to help celebrate this historic square's renovation in our hometown," said Brad Maslan, vice president for Guylian's U.S. operations in Englewood Cliffs, N.J. "Our egg pays homage to the Belgian Easter tradition celebrated by giving children chocolate eggs and our long history as Belgium's leading manufacturer of premium chocolate."
Market squares are a center of European life, and the eight-acre Sint-Niklaas "Grote Markt" features a town hall and cathedral that have been painstakingly restored over the past 18 months. In 1248, Margaret of Constantinople donated land to the newly-established parish of Sint-Niklaas for construction of a market square - with one condition: the square was to remain vacant for eternity. Only the town hall and Onze-Lieve-Vrouw Church were added in 1848.
A previous Guinness record for the world's tallest Easter egg was set by the Rotary Club of Piet Retief, KwaZula-Natal, South Africa, on April 4, 1996.
Chocolaterie Guylian is the world's leading manufacturer of premium boxed Belgian chocolates. This family-owned and operated company is one of the leading importers of Belgian chocolates into the U.S. and one of the fastest-growing brands in major markets worldwide, selling in 140 countries. Guylian first became known for its exquisite Guylian Seashells. Today, the company offers a range of boxed chocolates, individually wrapped chocolates, and chocolate bars. U.S. headquarters are in Englewood Cliffs, N.J.