AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Humana Healthy Horizons, the Medicaid business of leading health and well-being company Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), has announced investments of $488,000 in community efforts to improve the health and well-being of Texans.
The investments made in 2022 focused on several key areas, including maternal and child health, housing for families and children, mental health services and increasing access to care.
The recent announcements bring Humana Healthy Horizons’ total support of community organizations in Texas to $1.4 million since 2020. The company supports organizations that share its passion for overcoming public health challenges and improving the health and well-being of Texans.
“There is so much important work being done by community organizations all over Texas, and we’re excited to collaborate with them to improve lives,” said Catheryn Rossberg, Regional President-Texas Medicaid at Humana. “These investments are innovative and are about taking important services to where they are most needed and will have the greatest impact on the people of Texas.”
Among the projects funded in 2022 are these community partners:
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Tarrant County. With Humana’s support, the club is expanding mobile clubhouse services to nearly 4,000 Tarrant County youth, focusing on academic success, healthy lifestyles, and good character and citizenship. Club services include learning activities at school district summer camps, virtual programs supplying learning kits, meal distribution, basic need referrals, counseling services, Wi-Fi access/mobile hot spots, and special events.
- Bluebonnet Trails Community Services. A grant from Humana supports basic needs as well as mental health and substance abuse services for students of Round Rock and Jarrell Independent School Districts, along with their families, who have suffered traumatic events.
- March of Dimes. Through funding from Humana, sites in Houston and San Antonio will train women of color to become community-based doulas, aimed at improving the health of mothers and babies.
- Pathways Community HUB. Humana funding provides expanded training to the organization’s Community Health Workers in San Antonio and surrounding counties with a focus on prenatal education.
- United Way of Metropolitan Dallas. Humana is supporting the Targeted Eviction Prevention Project, aimed at the communities surrounding five Dallas Independent School District schools with high concentrations of eviction filings and high levels of mid-year student moves. The program works to improve financial stability and keep students focused on school.
- NAMI Texas. Humana funds support a program to increase access to culturally competent mental health education and support for parents and caregivers with a child or teen experiencing symptoms of a mental health condition.
- YMCA of Greater San Antonio. Humana is supporting the YMCA in offering free or low-cost counseling, as well as peer-to-peer groups, to address mental-health issues in underserved communities.
- Catholic Charities of Dallas. Humana supports the Hope Project, which uses a chat bot powered by artificial-intelligence technology to help people find coping mechanisms for depression and anxiety. The program provides users with concrete opportunities for help, coaches them on life skills, and engages a live crisis counselor if a crisis is identified.
- Titus Regional Medical Center. Humana funding is supporting the medical center’s public health initiative to address social determinants of health in Titus County and four surrounding rural counties.
- Franklin County Rural Health Clinic. A grant from Humana supports a new telehealth system to increase access to services and improve care delivery, make improvements to the facility, provide workforce development and training to new staff, and supplement wages to hire a behavioral health counselor and a case manager.
- Vecino Health Center. Humana funding supports the development of a Summer Health Academy at the Vecino Airline Children & Women’s Health Center, engaging bilingual Vecino patients ages 16 and 17 with the dual goal of increasing youth engagement in their own health and motivating them to consider a career in the health field.
“Bluebonnet Trails Community Services is grateful to Humana for an exceptionally generous grant award supporting Round Rock and Jarrell ISD students experiencing trauma,” said Andrea Richardson, Chief Executive Officer for Bluebonnet Trails. “Humana is making continued student group connections and counseling possible during the 2022-2023 school year. A catastrophic ice storm during late January kept students out of classrooms and damaged homes and ISD buildings. Humana’s investment in the health and well-being of children softened the harsh blow by helping ISD families meet basic needs for bottled water and food. Over the last 90 days, we celebrate Humana’s timely investment in young lives improving the wellbeing of 113 students and their families.”
“Through the Humana grant, Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Tarrant County was able to further expand our Mobile Clubhouse experience to serve additional youth that need us most and don't have access to our traditional building locations,” said Boys & Girls Club CEO & President Daphne Barlow Stigliano. “This program provides youth a safe, positive environment with supportive experiences to nurture academic success, healthy lifestyles, and character and leadership right where they live and go to school.”
Humana has a steadfast commitment to Texas. In addition to the grants from Humana Healthy Horizons, the Humana Foundation—Humana’s philanthropic arm for the past 40 years—has provided $7.3 million in grants since 2018 for programs aimed at improving the health of Texans. The foundation grants have targeted health equity, healthy nutrition, healthier emotional connections, reduced substance-use issues, Covid-19 relief and recovery, and many other important issues impacting health.
As of Dec. 31, 2022, more than 1.5 million Texans have health coverage through Humana Medicare Advantage plans, Medicare prescription drug plans, commercial group and ASO health plans, and the TRICARE military health care program as administered by Humana.
Humana is proud to be a community partner in Texas in other ways too.
- For example, the company partners at the community level with organizations across 20 communities – including San Antonio and Houston - to address barriers to healthy living, reduce disparities and improve community health.
- In 2018 Humana forged a comprehensive partnership with the University of Houston to redesign Texas healthcare, focusing on vulnerable, underserved populations. Leveraging the university’s data and research capabilities, the relationship—funded by a $15 million grant from Humana—emphasizes integrated care delivery and alternative payment models. The university’s Humana Integrated Health System Sciences Institute is focused on graduating health care professionals who are skilled in advancing population health and value-based care and have a passion for working with underserved people.
- Humana is one of several organizations investing in affordable-housing developments in Rusk, Polk, Wilbarger and Dimmit counties.
About Humana Healthy Horizons
Humana manages Medicaid benefits for more than 1 million members nationally under the Humana Healthy Horizons™ brand, which reflects our expertise in managing complex populations, our commitment to creating solutions that lead to a better quality of life for our members, and our efforts to deliver human care that makes the healthcare experience easier, more personalized and more caring.
During more than two decades of serving people with Medicaid, Humana Healthy Horizons has developed a wide range of capabilities to serve children, pregnant women, adults, and aged, blind or disabled populations. We integrate physical health, behavioral health, pharmacy, long-term care, and social services for a whole-person approach to improve the health and well-being of our members and the communities we serve.
Humana Healthy Horizons is a Medicaid Product offered by affiliates of Humana Inc.
Humana Inc. is committed to helping our millions of medical and specialty members achieve their best health. Our successful history in care delivery and health plan administration is helping us create a new kind of integrated care with the power to improve health and well-being and lower costs. Our efforts are leading to a better quality of life for people with Medicare, Medicaid, families, individuals, military service personnel, and communities at large.
To accomplish that, we support physicians and other health care professionals as they work to deliver the right care in the right place for their patients, our members. Our range of clinical capabilities, resources and tools – such as in-home care, behavioral health, pharmacy services, data analytics and wellness solutions – combine to produce a simplified experience that makes health care easier to navigate and more effective.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases and conference calls
- Calendar of events
- Corporate Governance information