ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With Spring around the corner, cleaning and sprucing-up is top of mind. A recent Bona®/Harris Poll online survey of more than 1,000 adults in Canada found that nearly 2 in 3 Canadian adults plan to deep clean this spring season.
The survey, which was commissioned by Bona North America, a global, sustainably-driven company that supplies products for installing, renovating, maintaining and restoring premium floors throughout Canada, asked about cleaning habits and consumer behaviors, including environmental concerns with cleaning ingredients. Compared to a regular cleaning routine, Canadians are more likely to focus on these five areas for a deep spring clean: the kitchen (57%), de-cluttering/organizing (55%), bathrooms (55%), windows (51%) and floors (49%).
When looking at cleaning ingredients, more than 1 in 10 respondents noted they have already made the switch to more environmentally friendly cleaning products, and nearly 7 in 10 said they are very or somewhat likely to switch from traditional cleaning products to environmentally friendly products. Even further, younger adults were more likely to make the switch (74% for ages 18-44) compared to 64% of 45-54 and 62% of 55+.
“In this survey, we saw an emphasis on getting back to the basics of cleaning, streamlining routines and making the switch to more environmentally friendly products this spring-cleaning season,” said Leah Bradley, Senior Brand Manager, Canada, Bona. “At Bona, we prioritize effective cleaning solutions and tools that offer superior value by streamlining the cleaning process and prioritizing the environment.”
Other interesting findings include:
- When asked about the importance of certain attributes for cleaning products used in their homes, more than 9 out of 10 Canadians prioritized products that are safe for them and their family, easy to use and effective.
- Women were more likely to have already made the switch to more environmentally friendly cleaning products than men (14% vs. 8%).
- Four in 5 Canadians (78%) want to streamline their cleaning routine.
- Canadians are more relaxed and feel better about spending time at home when their home is clean, with 9 in 10 agreeing with this statement.
- Males are less likely than females to focus on de-cluttering/organizing (46% vs. 65%).
- When asked about actions they are taking to reduce the environmental impact in their homes, nearly 9 in 10 Canadians (87%) reported doing something such as adding plants or composting.
- The top ways Canadians are reducing environmental impact in their homes are donating clothes/furniture (64%), using cleaning product that are environmentally friendly (42%), adding plants (42%) and composting (42%).
As Canadian consumers search for cleaning products that are good for the planet and have safety in mind, it’s important to look at the ingredients and transparency from brands. Bona’s hardwood and hard surface formulas have received the U.S. EPA’s Safer Choice certification since 2020, and Bona was named an EPA Safer Choice Partner of the Year in 2021 and 2022. The recently amplified formulations are crafted with plant-derived ingredients, use waterbased and biodegradable solutions, and are free of parabens, formaldehyde, ammonia, phthalates and phosphates.
For more than 100 years, Bona has innovated tools and solutions for the most effective clean with people and the planet in mind. Find more cleaning tips at Bona.com.
About Bona North America
Bona is an innovative, environmentally conscious company dedicated to creating beautiful floors since 1919. Bona North America, a subsidiary of BonaAB with headquarters in Malmö, Sweden, manufactures and distributes floor and home care products. The first in the industry to offer a full system of waterborne hardwood floor finishing and floor care products certified for indoor air quality by GREENGUARD, Bona products can be found throughout the U.S. and Canada. From residue-free hardwood floor cleaners to a beautiful array of stains and high durability finishes, consumers, distributors and contractors trust Bona. For more information, please contact Bona at (800) 872-5515 or www.bona.com.
This survey was conducted online by The Harris Poll on behalf of Bona US from October 24-26, 2022, among 1,023 adults ages 18 and older residing in Canada. The sampling precision of Harris online polls is measured by using a Bayesian credible interval. For this study, the sample data is accurate to within +/- 2.8 percentage points using a 95% confidence level. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables and subgroup sample sizes, please contact Heather Lindemann at (800) 872-5515.