EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Mattel (NASDAQ: MAT) announces its global celebration to mark the 50th anniversary of UNO, the number one game in the world* that fosters inclusive play and leans into culture.
Conceived in 1971 in a barbershop in Cincinnati, Ohio, the iconic card game was created as a way for families to spend time together, and quickly became a household staple. Five decades later, UNO, now available in over 80 countries and with 17 decks sold every minute, has grown into a global sensation that offers fans of all ages a variety of innovative card-based and digital games.
"For 50 years, UNO has brought people together by transcending language, culture and age through gameplay. As the number one game in the world, we’ve maintained its origins of a beloved family pastime, while evolving into a cultural phenomenon," said Ray Adler, Global Head of Mattel Games. "Combining the brand’s roots of inclusivity and simplicity, the passionate global fan base, and unprecedented momentum, UNO’s 50th anniversary is a yearlong celebration of the brand’s past, present and future.”
The brand is celebrating 50 years of bringing people around the world together through:
COMMEMORATIVE PRODUCTS AND NEW WAYS TO PLAY
This year UNO is releasing one of the brand’s largest product lines offering new twists on gameplay, with products available for purchase beginning this month.
- UNO 50th Anniversary Premium Card Set: This premium item is the official celebratory product and collector item for the 50th anniversary, available exclusively at Walmart. Contained in deluxe-box packaging is an exclusive gold coin commemorating the 50th anniversary, and the set also features a special “50/50” card and rule, which incorporates the coin into gameplay.
- UNO 50th Anniversary Card Deck: The celebration continues with the UNO 50th Anniversary Card Deck, which has “gold” wild cards to commemorate the special anniversary.
- UNO Iconic Series: Starting with the groovy 1970s, the UNO Iconic Series will include five individual decks honoring the last five decades, featuring nostalgic designs that represent each time period.
- UNO Remix: UNO Remix is the first UNO game that evolves with every hand you play. It plays like classic UNO, but at the start of each round you'll add special remix cards to the deck that change the game. When it's all over, you'll have created a customized UNO deck unique to you.
- UNO Attack: Since 1998 UNO Attack has been a fan favorite, and an all-new updated version of the beloved card-launching extension brings added action with lights, new sounds, and cards that fly even higher.
To mark the moment, all 2021 new products will feature the new UNO 50th anniversary look, including a new logo and new tagline – Fifty Years of Being Wild™.
UNO™ CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES AND CELEBRATORY EVENTS
UNO will be inviting fans to celebrate the anniversary through a first of its kind tournament series hosted by Mattel, and a variety of celebratory games. To learn more about how to participate, visit the UNO website.
- UNO™ Championship Series: UNO is launching the first-ever official UNO™ Championship Series, which gives fans the chance to prove they are the best UNO player out there. The UNO™ Championship Series will welcome fans from all over to compete to become the first official UNO™ World Champion, with the finale taking place in November 2021 featuring a grand prize of $50,000 for the winner.
- Celebratory Games: Throughout the year, UNO will be hosting celebratory games and streams with fans and partners across digital platforms, including the UNO mobile app and platform game.
From iconic artists to athletes to nonprofit organizations, UNO is committed to developing diverse partnerships that build inclusive, sustainable, and culturally relevant products. In recent years, UNO has released UNO Braille, making the game widely accessible for the more than 7 million blind and low-vision individuals in the U.S., UNO ColorADD, the world’s first card game optimized for the color blind, and the UNO Artiste Series, a line that pays homage to influential artists by infusing art directly into a premium deck.
In its 50th year, UNO will be collaborating with a variety of iconic names across art, fashion, sports, and more to create uniquely designed products from fan-favorite names and brands.
This is just the beginning of what’s to come for the yearlong UNO celebration. Visit the UNO website for more information, and follow @UNO on Instagram and Facebook and @realUNOgame on Twitter for future updates.
*Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service/G11/Jan-September 2020/Games & Puzzles Supercategory/Units
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie®, Hot Wheels®, Fisher-Price®, American Girl®, Thomas & Friends®, UNO® and MEGA®, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.