Japan Telecom Country Intelligence Report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Japan today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2024. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
Total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in Japan will increase from $124.1 billion in 2019 to $153.1 billion by 2024, at a CAGR of 4.3%, due to projected revenue growth in mobile data, fixed-broadband, and pay-TV. Although we expect that the COVID-19 outbreak will slow down economic growth during 2020, we believe that the impact of the pandemic on the telecom sector in Japan will be relatively mild due to successful containment measures. Mobile data revenue will grow over 2019-2024, at a CAGR of 10.2%, driven by a rise in data ARPS and growth in mobile Internet subscriptions.
The report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Japan.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- The overall telecom and pay-TV services market revenue in Japan will grow at a CAGR of 4.3% in US$ during 2019-2024.
- Mobile revenue will account for 62.3% of total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in 2024.
- NTT Docomo held a majority share of 36.8% of total mobile subscriptions in 2019. NTT Docomo will maintain its leadership through 2024 due to its continued focus on expansion of its mobile network as well as strong presence in the postpaid segment.
- 4G will remain the leading mobile technology despite a decline in its share due to subscriber migration to 5G services.
Key Topics Covered
1. Market Highlights
- Demographic, macroeconomic, and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
2. Regulatory Context
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Pay-TV services market
3. Competitive Landscape and Company Snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- SoftBank Japan
- Additional resources
- Baseline forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- Internet Inititaive Japan (IIJ)
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/ym0d5p