WILMINGTON, Del.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Barclays US Consumer Bank today announced support to the communities in which the bank operates to respond to hardships created by the COVID-19 pandemic. Assistance will be allocated to nonprofit organizations in Delaware, Nevada and Ohio that provide food, shelter and assistance to vulnerable populations, aid to first responders on the frontlines of the pandemic, and financial support for small businesses.
“By working with charity partners that have a strong track record of providing care to people in need, we hope that we can help those impacted by COVID-19 access essential services and relief where it is most needed,” said Denny Nealon, president, Barclays US Consumer Bank. “At Barclays, we’re proud to be able to work with these incredible charities during this difficult time and grateful for all that they are doing to support the communities in which we live and work.”
Barclays PLC, based in London, recently announced a $125 million (£100 million) COVID-19 Community Aid Package to support charities worldwide that are working to help vulnerable people and communities impacted by the virus, including contributions directed to trusted nonprofit organizations in the areas where Barclays US Consumer Bank operates in the United States. The donations announced today are the latest from Barclays’ COVID-19 fund and follow the recent announcement of support being provided by Barclays to 13 non-profit organizations that will help to provide assistance to communities across the United States, Mexico and Canada.
Barclays US Consumer Bank charity partners include:
Delaware Community Foundation helps communities and philanthropists focus charitable resources for the greatest community benefit statewide. Barclays is supporting the organization’s Delaware COVID-19 Strategic Response Fund, which will help to address the short- and longer-term impacts of the crisis including the needs of vulnerable populations across Delaware, as well as other COVID-19 related projects below via the Barclays COVID-19 Community Aid Fund at the DCF.
- The Wilmington Strong Small Business Fund, a public-private partnership comprised of West Side Grows Together, Wilmington Alliance, The City of Wilmington – Mayor’s Office of Economic Development, True Access Capital, Cinnaire, Wilmington Community Advisory Council, Latin American Community Center, Collaborate Northeast and the Delaware Division of Small Business, will provide grants to small businesses located in Wilmington as they recover from the impact of COVID-19. Barclays’ $100,000 matching grant will not only help build the capacity of small businesses by providing utility and rent assistance, but also creates the foundation for a public-private partnership to serve Wilmington’s favorite shops, restaurants, stores and cafes citywide.
- Wilmington is Working Technology Equity Fund will support local workforce programs and their beneficiaries by providing access to technology to help close the digital divide, highlighted further by the pandemic among the city’s most vulnerable populations. In response to COVID-19, Wilmington Alliance in partnership with NERDiT NOW has been focusing its efforts on rebuilding the local economy through coordinating a citywide assessment of workforce development programs readiness to offer online training and access to technology needed to provide employment opportunities. Barclays’ anchor funding will support the procurement, setup and delivery of technology hardware and other technology needs.
- REACH Riverside aims to transform the Riverside neighborhood of Wilmington, Delaware, into a healthy and vibrant mixed-income community while creating pathways out of poverty for the low-income families who live there. The Riverside Relief Fund was established for households in the Riverside public housing units that are facing economic hardship or health crises as a direct result of COVID-19. Barclays’ funding will support local restaurants to feed food-insecure residents as well as providing access to technology for the children and families of Riverside to access educational programming.
- Direct Relief is a humanitarian aid organization that aims to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty or emergencies. Barclays funding will help to provide protective equipment and critical care medication to the health workers and medical facilities that need it the most across New York City, New Jersey and Delaware.
Feeding America is a nationwide network of 200 food banks across 50 states and Puerto Rico. Barclays is supporting Feeding America’s work to secure approximately 20 million meals per week on behalf of its network of local food banks, including in Ohio and Nevada:
- Shared Harvest Foodbank collects, warehouses, transports and distributes contributions of surplus food and other grocery style products to 90-plus food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters and similar nonprofits in five counties in Ohio, which provide hot meals or bags of groceries to people in need. Barclays is supporting Shared Harvest to provide 2.4 million meals to those impacted by COVID-19.
- Three Square, Southern Nevada’s only food bank, aims to provide wholesome food to hungry people, while pursuing a hunger-free community. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Three Square has increased weekly food distribution from 1 million pounds to 1.3 million pounds—the equivalent of 250,000 meals per week. Barclays’ support will allow Three Square to provide 1.2 million meals to families in need across the valley.
United Way of Delaware(UWDE) operates the Delaware 211 Helpline, which in cooperation with the Delaware Emergency Management Agency, serves as the central hub for thousands of Delawareans seeking assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic. To address the unprecedented need, UWDE created the Delaware Does More COVID-19 Rapid Response Fund, which leverages the expertise of community-based organizations and invests in those agencies that can meet the most critical needs during this trying time. Barclays’ funding will support these efforts, connecting families with resources by investing in key organizations, including:
- The Food Bank of Delaware, a member of Feeding America, is a Delaware-based, statewide nonprofit agency whose mission is a community free of hunger. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Food Bank has distributed more than 3 million pounds to the community, nearly 4,300 meal boxes to seniors, and 19,171 weekend meal bags to children in need. Barclays’ support, through the United Way of Delaware’s COVID-19 Rapid Response Fund, will aid the Food Bank in their COVID-19 efforts providing 750,000 meals to low-income families across the state.
- West End Neighborhood House's mission is to help individuals achieve self-sufficiency, reach and maintain their maximum potential, and live responsibly and harmoniously in a healthy community and complex world. In response to the COVID-19 crisis, West End is working to provide emergency food, rental and utility assistance, as well as critical support to local small businesses. Thus far, West End has provided over 8,500 meals to more than 700 individuals, and rental or utility assistance to 100 families. Barclays' funding, through the United Way of Delaware's COVID-19 Response Fund, will allow West End to provide the pipeline and distribution of food staples, as well as an additional 5,500 meals and rental assistance to 500 families as the pandemic continues.
- United Way of Southern Nevada stands in the center of the Southern Nevada community, taking immediate steps to help all those who are impacted by COVID-19 by uniting donors, volunteers, and nonprofits. Barclays will support their Emergency Assistance and Community Needs Fund, which provides food, shelter and utility assistance to help the most vulnerable residents of the Las Vegas valley during these challenging times.
About Barclays US Consumer Bank
Barclays US Consumer Bank is one of the fastest-growing top 10 credit card issuers in the United States. The bank creates customized, co-branded credit card programs for some of the country's most successful travel, entertainment, retail and affinity institutions, and offers online savings accounts and CDs. For more information, please visit www.BarclaysUS.com.
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customer and client, and geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group. For further information about Barclays, please visit www.barclays.com.