THOUSAND OAKS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Anthem Blue Cross reached an important milestone, topping $400 million in direct investments in the health of Californians. Since 2005, Anthem has been directing funds through the Investment in a Healthy California Program (IHCP) to assist rural and urban healthcare facilities across the state to secure capital for construction, renovation and sustainability projects that strengthen their ability to support vulnerable communities.
Anthem’s investment totaled over $34 million in 2019, bringing its level of support for the program to more than $400 million.
“Our IHCP investments are just one example, but an important one, of how Anthem Blue Cross supports the communities it serves by strengthening access to resources that drive better health outcomes,” said Dr. Barsam Kasravi, Anthem Blue Cross President, Medi-Cal. “Supports like these often have a greater impact on health outcomes than traditional care alone, and we are pleased to serve as partners in creating a healthier generation of Californians.”
IHCP was created in collaboration with the California Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC) and the California Department of Insurance (DOI) to raise capital for healthcare providers serving low-income and underserved communities. Healthcare providers access funds in the form of low-interest loans for construction expansions, new facilities, equipment, renovations, updates, technology and refinancing of outstanding or high interest debt. Since the inception of IHCP, Anthem Blue Cross has provided funding for 38 different organizations, including 21 hospitals, four senior living facilities, four FQHC/rural health clinics, six social service providers and three mental health/substance abuse providers. Collectively, these organizations continue to serve millions of Californians across the state.
“These facilities play a vital role in providing healthcare services to some of California’s most underserved communities,” said Beth Andersen, Anthem Blue Cross President, Commercial Plans. “We value our relationships with these providers as they are important to our mission of improving lives and communities.”
Anthem’s 2019 IHCP investments of $34 million have been slated for new construction, renovation and debt repayment projects in five California counties. Specifically, the funds have been accessed by the following organizations:
- Kern Regional Center in Kern County ($2.6 million): Supports services provided to developmentally disabled residents.
- Los Angeles Jewish Home for the Aging in Los Angeles County ($5.7 million): Supports a variety of residential, clinical and community-based services for seniors at Fountainview at Eisenberg Village.
- Tahoe Forest Hospital District in Placer County ($3 million): Supports acute, outpatient and skilled nursing care to a population of 40,000 residents with a service area that covers 500 square miles.
- United Health Centers in San Joaquin County ($9 million): Supports construction of a new clinic in Reedley.
- Tarzana Treatment Center in Los Angeles County ($6.7 million): Supports expansion and renovation of several facilities that provide substance abuse, mental health, primary medical and HIV/AIDS healthcare services in ten locations across Los Angeles County.
- Sierra View Local Healthcare District in Tulare County ($7 million): Supports the construction of a new 44 bed skilled nursing and sub-acute facility to replace the existing 35 bed facility and funds the construction of two new rural health facilities in Tierra Bella and Strathmore, CA.
About Anthem Blue Cross
Anthem Blue Cross has been serving the health insurance needs of California residents since 1937. Anthem Blue Cross, together with its branded affiliates, provides health care services to more than 8.2 million health plan members in California, including a broad network of more than 65,000 providers. Offering a full continuum of product and coverage options, Anthem Blue Cross provides customers with unparalleled choice and flexibility in meeting their health plan needs. These options are continually fine-tuned to enhance and ensure access to affordable, quality health care. Anthem, with its strong track record for innovation, focuses on progressive products and services designed to improve the health status of all Californians. Unique offerings available in the individual, small group, large group, senior and Medi-Cal markets include a full range of integrated medical and specialty products. Anthem Blue Cross is the trade name of Blue Cross of California. Anthem Blue Cross and Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company are independent licensees of the Blue Cross Association. To learn more, visit www.anthem.com/ca. Also, follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/anthemBC_News or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AnthemBlueCrossMediCal.