WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Hanes launches “Model Citizen,” a campaign that challenges the men’s underwear status quo by showing real guys, with real bodies, and pushes back on the flashy “flexes” that flood the Instagram feeds of young people today. Rather than highlighting guys who have washboard abs or flashy material markers of success, the Hanes Model Citizens are men who have carved their own paths, built careers rooted in entrepreneurship and are driven by a desire to make a positive impact in their industries and communities. Hanes’ Model Citizens hail from across the country:
- New York transplant Chaz originally moved from Nashville to pursue music, but has since expanded his career to acting and photography – all while raising his son as a single father.
- Austin bootmaker Josh, or the “The Mayor of East Austin,” was one of the first entrepreneurs to relocate to East Austin, where he built a company from the ground up while raising his family.
- Denver brewer Jan started his career working the bar at Our Mutual Friend Brewing Company (and volunteering in the brewery any chance he could); seven years later, he’s head brewer and instrumental to making the bar an integral part of Denver’s community.
- Analog photographer Gabe focuses his work on black and white urban sprawl photography in New York city, highlighting overlooked and underrepresented people, their resilience, and how they live.
- Muralist Akbar splits his time between Los Angeles and New York, inspiring rundown neighborhoods with his artwork, and mentoring at-risk youth.
- Denver coffee shop owner Koan started out roasting beans in his garage, and has developed Huckleberry Roasters into a top coffee destination – while working with local farms and coffee co-ops.
- Austin restaurateur Eric started as an unhappy litigator, bought a food truck, opened a restaurant (The Peached Tortilla) and oversees a mentorship program for novice food truck owners in Austin – and makes food donations from his restaurant to local schools.
“We are thrilled to take the opportunity to push the meaning of ‘model’,” said Sidney Falken, chief branding officer, HanesBrands. “With the Model Citizen program, we are highlighting men who are chasing their dreams and living their lives on their own terms – not spending every day at the gym building the perfect body.”
The Model Citizens were photographed in Denver, Austin and New York over the summer of 2019, the program will live through mid-2020. All of the products featured are available on Hanes.com, and the program has a landing pages at www.hanesmodelcitizens.com with more detail on each of the participants.
While Hanes longstanding mission has been to Make the World a More Comfortable Place, the Model Citizen campaign showcases how young men across the country are sharing in this mission with us. By following your passion, focusing on what truly matters and living with the intent to raise up the people and community around you, everyone can become a Model Citizen – which is so much more than just an underwear model.
Hanes, America's No. 1 apparel brand owned by HanesBrands (NYSE:HBI), is a leading brand of intimate apparel, underwear, sleepwear, socks and casual apparel. Hanes products can be found at leading retailers nationwide and online direct to consumers at www.Hanes.com.