Global digital travel sales are growing
Online travel sales worldwide are projected to increase at a single-digit growth rate annually between 2019 and 2022, outpacing the overall travel market. As a result, the online share of global travel sales nears 50% and is projected to increase further over the next several years.
Leading digital travel markets
The top online travel markets from different global regions include the USA, China, and the UK. Furthermore, the countries of Southeast Asia are expanding rapidly, while the growth rates in the mature markets of Europe and North America are declining. Another fast-growing digital travel market is the Middle East, where currently only around one-third of travel bookings are online.
Top OTAs globally
The leading online travel agencies worldwide include Booking.com, Expedia and Trip.com. Booking.com also ranks as the top travel website by the number of visits. In addition, the competition is intensifying and travel unicorns are flourishing, led by Airbnb which is planning an IPO for 2020.
- This report covers the online travel market. It takes into account a wide definition of the travel segment, including transportation, accommodation, tour packages and others. The report's focus is on leisure and unmanaged business online travel. The definitions used by the original sources cited in this report may vary.
- Besides sales figures, penetration and rankings, this report also reveals important market trends that affect the online travel market, such as the rise of mobile
- bookings and the use of innovative technology.
- All global regions are covered in this report, including Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa, and North America.
- The global chapter opens the report, including an overview of global market developments and trends.
- The rest of the report is divided into regions. The regions are presented in the order of descending total online travel sales.
- Within each region, regional information is included first, where available, and the countries are also presented in the order of descending online travel sales.
- Where no comparable sales figures were available, other related criteria such as total E-Commerce sales, online shopper and Internet penetration were applied.
- In the country sections, the following information is covered, where available: online travel sales, the share of online shoppers booking travel services online and the rank of this category among other E-Commerce product categories, the online share of total travel sales and the share of travel in total E-Commerce sales,
- platforms and channels used by travelers to book travel services, total sales and shares of online travel agencies. Not all types of information mentioned are provided for each country, due to varying data availability.
- For the global travel market, a text chart with a qualitative overview of the global online travel market, trends and players is included.
Key Topics Covered
1. Management Summary
- Online Travel Market Overview & Trends, November 2019
- Online Share of Total Travel Sales, in %, by Region, 2018
- Online Travel Sales, in USD billion, 2019f & 2023f
- Online Share of Travel Sales, in %, 2024f
- Top 9 Areas of Expected Innovation in Travel, May 2019
- Potential Use Cases of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Travel Customer Journey, by Customer Use and Company Use, March 2019
- Share of Travelers Who Are Frustrated When They Are Not Able to Access Their Booking Information 24/7 on Their Mobile Device, in %, 2019
- Share of Travelers Who Believe That AR/VR Technology Could Help Them Better Plan Their Trips, in %, 2019
- Top 20 Travel Websites, by Website Rank, incl. Category, Website Visits, in millions, Average Visit Duration, in minutes, Bounce Rate, in %, and Top 5 Countries by Share of Visits, in %, October 2019
- Top 12 Travel Unicorn Startups by Valuation, in USD billion, August 2019
3. North America
- Online Travel Sales, in USD billion, and in % Year-on-Year Change, 2017 - 2022f
- Breakdown of Hotel and Lodging Online Gross Bookings, by Direct and OTAs, in %, 2018 & 2022f
- Share of Hotel Direct Room Booking Revenues via Mobile Devices, in %, 2018 & 2022f
- Booking Channels Used, in % of Travelers, by Generation, 2018
- Share of Travelers Who Believe That Chatbots/Digital Assistants Would Make The Booking Experience Easier and Frictionless, in %, by Generation, 2018
- Share of Travelers Who Would Be Comfortable Booking a Trip by Voice, in %, 2018
- Combined Market Share of the Top 2 OTAs, in %, 2018e
- Product Categories Purchased Online, incl. Flights and Travel Packages, in % of Adult Internet Users, March 2019
4.4. South Korea
4.6. Australia & New Zealand
6. Latin America
7. Middle East & Africa
7.3. Saudi Arabia
7.4. South Africa
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/2ft8xt