DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Insulation professional Gerardo Macias of Wauconda, Ill.-based Northern Insulation beat out 34 competitors to win the title of “America’s Best Installer” and the $10,000 grand prize at the Best Installer competition. The annual competition is hosted by Johns Manville and Insulate America and was held in Denver from Nov. 7-9.
In its 17th year, the competition serves as an annual reminder of the importance of properly installed insulation and recognizes how the skills, hard work and dedication of local insulation installers can contribute to a more energy efficient home and cost savings for the homeowner. The competition was founded in 2003 by Johns Manville, a Berkshire Hathaway company and leading building products manufacturer, and Insulate America, the nation’s largest independent insulation contractor organization.
The Best Installer competition brings together insulation installers from across the country to test their installation skills. This year, competitors were tasked with installing JM formaldehyde-free insulation batts into mock home structures, designed with barriers like electrical outlets, pipes and vaulted ceilings. Macias and the other competitors were judged on their speed, workmanship and the overall quality of the job.
“Each year we’re amazed by the talent and dedication of the local insulation professionals at the Best Installer’s competition and this year was no exception,” said Bob Wamboldt, president of Insulation Systems at Johns Manville. “Gerardo’s performance stood out from the rest and we thank him and all of this year’s competitors for the important role they play in supporting our insulation industry and promoting energy efficiency.”
The competition also recognized second, third and fourth places. This year’s finalists include:
- Alex Franco of Homeowner’s Insulation in Colorado Springs, Colo. was awarded second place with a $5,000 prize.
- Brian Kisner of McPherson Products in St. Cloud, Minn. placed third with a $3,500 prize.
- Joseph Stansbury of Home Improvement Professionals in Byron, Minn. was recognized in fourth place with a $2,500 prize.
Additionally, eight competitors were also awarded cash prizes for their performances during the preliminary competition rounds:
- Juan Jaquez of Raytown, Mo.-based Star Companies: $1,000
- Brian McBride of Lancaster, Pa.-based Keener Insulating: $1,000
- Joshua Hans of Auburn, Calif.-based Sierra Insulation: $1,000
- Gavin Turner of Topeka, Kan.-based Black Gold: $1,000
- Elliott Laughlin of Blaine, Minn.-based Homeco: $500
- Larry “Pete” Middleton of Sterling Heights, Mich.-based Turner Insulation: $500
- Michael Bowdish of Pleasant View, Utah-based J&K Insulation: $500
- Jesus Garza of Pflugerville, Texas-based Hill Country Insulation: $500
About Johns Manville
Johns Manville, a Berkshire Hathaway company (NYSE: BRK.A, BRK.B), is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality products for building insulation, mechanical insulation, commercial roofing and roof insulation, as well as fibers and nonwovens for commercial, industrial and residential applications. JM serves markets that include aerospace, automotive and transportation, air handling, appliance, HVAC, pipe and equipment, filtration, waterproofing, building, flooring, interiors and wind energy. In business since 1858, the Denver-based company has annual sales over $3 billion and holds leadership positions in all of the key markets that it serves. Johns Manville employs 8,000 people and operates 42 manufacturing facilities in North America, Europe and China. Additional information can be found at www.jm.com.
About Insulate America
Insulate America is the nation’s largest independent insulation contractor. With over 175 locations serving 46 states, Insulate America is committed to the highest quality workmanship and service. Training, education, sharing ideas, rigorous certifications and life-long learning separate Insulate America as professionals in the industry. Learn more at www.insulateamerica.com.