MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--atings vernacular can often be challenging at times, however, this is simple: Univision will finish the 2018/2019 season as the most-watched Spanish-language television network in primetime for the 27th consecutive time among Adults 18-49 and Total Viewers 2+.
During the 2018/2019 season, Univision is averaging 549,000 Adults 18-49 and 1.3 million Total Viewers 2+. The strong 52-week performance has positioned Univision alongside ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX among the top five broadcast networks, and ahead of cable networks such as USA, TBS, TNT, Bravo and A&E with Adults 18-49. Additionally, Univision is attracting an average audience age of 46, which is 11 years younger than that of the major English-language broadcast networks – ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and The CW – in primetime.
“We are honored to be the chosen destination for the Hispanic American audience for nearly three decades,” said Jessica Rodriguez, CMO and President of Entertainment for Univision. “We recognize how important it is to innovate in order to stay in tune with the constantly evolving tastes of our viewers and are delighted that our investment in more diverse genres and stories has struck such a positive chord. The early results have been terrific, and we are excited to continue to deliver the content that our audience craves.”
Univision’s re-imagined development strategy introduced in 2018 has redefined the network. Based on audience research, the network has delivered fresh storylines and dynamic shows during the 2018/2019 broadcast season that are family-friendly, aspirational, and speak to the multiple layers of the Hispanic experience. With these insights, Univision opened its doors to new talent, both in front and behind the camera, from all areas of the industry, and provided more diversified content that entertains, informs and empowers the communities it serves, while fostering cultural pride and building optimism towards the future.
The results speak for themselves. The new content strategy has generated a historic 27th straight victory for Univision in primetime, and, even more so, continued the tradition of outperforming the Spanish-language competition on the weekend and in Total Day.
Weekend Primetime Warriors
Univision’s weekend primetime lineup featuring world-class soccer and the network’s Domingos en Familia programming block, highlighted by “Mira Quién Baila All Stars,” “Nuestra Belleza Latina” and “Pequeños Gigantes,” shined bright with audiences on Saturday and Sunday night. The slate positioned the network among the top-rated broadcast networks in a competitive environment and led Univision to a double-digit audience advantage over Telemundo on both Saturday (8pm-11pm) and Sunday (7pm-11pm) night among Total Viewers 2+ and Adult 18-49.
A Runaway Victory in Total Day
Univision continues to be the No. 1 Spanish-language network in total day for the 27th consecutive season, out-delivering Telemundo with double-digit audience advantages among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34. Additionally, Univision is delivering more Total Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-49 than Telemundo across key dayparts, including Early Morning, Daytime, Early Fringe and Late Fringe.
The Trusted News Source for Hispanic America
Univision News has once again proven to be the industry standard on Spanish-language television, delivering double to triple-digit audience advantages among Adults 18-49 versus comparable signature properties on Telemundo: “Despierta America” vs. “Un Nuevo Dia” (+74% advantage); “Noticiero Univision Edicion Digital” vs. “Noticias Telemundo al Mediodia” (+86% advantage); “El Gordo y La Flaca” vs. “Suelta La Sopa” (+13% advantage); “Primer Impacto” vs. “Al Rojo Vivo” (+51% advantage); “Noticiero Univision” vs. “Noticias Telemundo” (+41% advantage).
Overall, Univision is the No. 1 destination for news with U.S. Hispanics, regardless of language, delivering the No. 1 Early Morning Program, No. 1 Weekday Noon News Program, No. 1 Weekday Entertainment News Magazine, No. 1 Weekday News Magazine, No. 1 Evening News Program, No. 1 Late Night News Program, No. 1 Sunday Morning Public Affairs Program and No. 1 Primetime News Magazine on all of television among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
Univision Network 2018-2019 Broadcast Season Highlights:
- La Usurpadora - Univision’s premiere of “La Usurpadora,” the first series from the network’s “The Collection” anthology, reached nearly three million Total Viewers 2+ who tuned in to all or part of the one-hour telecast on Monday September 16, 2019. Airing at 9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT, “La Usurpadora” averaged 1.8 million Total Viewers 2+, 783,000 Adults 18-49 and 303,000 Adults 18-34, making it the third most-watched program on broadcast television among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34. The series also positioned Univision ahead of CBS and FOX during the premiere and for the entire night among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
- El Debate Democrata Destino 2020 – Airing on ABC and Univision Thursday, September 12 (8:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. ET/PT), the Democratic debate delivered a combined audience of 14.1 million Total Viewers 2+, 3.2 million Adults 18-49 and 4.0 million Adults 25-54.
- Juntos, El Corazón Nunca Se Equivoca – Univision’s historic primetime novela featuring lead characters as a same-sex couple averaged 1.3 million Total Viewers 2+ and 534,000 Adults 18-49 during its finale on Monday September 9, 2019, marking its highest-rated telecast in its full-run. The finale positioned Univision ahead of CBS, FOX and the CW in the 9 p.m. hour among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34. “Juntos, El Corazón Nunca Se Equivoca” averaged 1.0 million Total Viewers 2+, 424,000 Adults 18-49 and 185,000 Adults 18-34 during its full-run.
- Premios Juventud – Univision’s 16th annual edition of “Premios Juventud” on Thursday July 18, 2019 reached 6.1 million Total Viewers 2+, who tuned in to all or part of the three-hour live broadcast. Airing from 8:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. ET/PT, “Premios Juventud” averaged 1.9 million Total Viewers 2+, 923,000 Adults 18-49, 457,000 Adults 18-34 and 572,000 Persons 12-34 and positioned Univision as the No. 1 broadcast network for the entire night, ahead of ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX among Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and Persons 12-34.
- Concacaf Gold Cup – The summer’s premier men’s soccer event, featuring the top 16 teams in North America, Central America and the Caribbean and 31 total matches, delivered five of the top 10 men’s matches of the current year. In fact, the Mexico-U.S. Gold Cup final on Sunday, July 7, 2019 averaged 5.9 million Total Viewers 2+ and 3.3 million Adults 18-49, marking the most-watched men’s soccer match of 2019 on any network, and ranked as the No. 1 program on Sunday night and for the entire week during primetime among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
- Pequeños Gigantes – Beloved children’s talent show “Pequeños Gigantes” averaged 1.7 million Total Viewers 2+, 604,000 Adults 18-49 and 231,000 Adults 18-34 during its season four run. The gripping two-hour finale on Sunday June 2, 2019 reached 4.3 million Total Viewers 2+, who tuned in to all or part of the program, and averaged 1.9 million Total Viewers 2+, 673,000 Adults 18-49 and 266,000 Adults 18-34. Airing from 8:00 – 10:00 p.m., the powerhouse kid’s competition made Univision the No. 2 broadcast network, outperforming CBS, NBC, FOX, and The CW among Adults 18-34 and delivered more Adults 18-49 than CBS, FOX, and The CW. The broadcast also delivered more Total Viewers 2+ than FOX and The CW.
- Amar a Muerte – Produced by W Studios, the supernatural thriller averaged 1.4 million Total Viewers 2+, 622,000 Adults 18-49 and 254,000 Adults 18-34 and made Univision the No. 1 Spanish-language network in the weeknight 10 p.m. hour with double-digit audience advantages over Telemundo during its full-run. The series ended on a high note by delivering its highest-rated weekly performance with 676,000 Adults 18-49, positioning Univision as the No. 2 broadcast network in the weeknight 10 p.m. hour and topping CBS, NBC and Telemundo during its final full-week among Adults 18-34. In fact, “Amar a Muerte” delivered more Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 than CBS, FOX and The CW during its two-hour finale on Monday March 11, 2019.
- Premio Lo Nuestro - Univision’s broadcast of the 31st edition of “Premio Lo Nuestro” on Thursday February 21, 2019 reached nearly 7 million Total Viewers 2+ who tuned in to all or part of the three-hour telecast. The music award show averaged 2.8 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.3 million Adults 18-49 and 595,000 Adults 18-34 and positioned Univision as the No. 1 broadcast network for the entire night, out-performing ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and The CW among Adults 18-34. Univision also out-delivered NBC, FOX and The CW among Adults 18-49 as well as FOX and The CW among Total Viewers 2+ on this night. Additionally, the 31st edition of “Premio Lo Nuestro” ranked as the top-rated music award show, regardless of language, among U.S. Hispanics in the key demographics of Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
- Mira Quién Baila All Stars – The All-Star edition of “Mira Quién Baila” averaged Total 1.9 million Total Viewers 2+, 694,000 Adults 18-49 and 268,000 Adults 18-34 during its full-run. The reality competition series, reached 4.6 million Total Viewers 2+ who tuned in to all or part of the program during its finale on Sunday February 10, 2019 from 8:00-10:15 p.m. ET/PT. The finale marked the reality series highest-rated telecast during its full-run with 2.1 million Total Viewers 2+ and 313,000 Adults 18-34 as well as second highest-rated delivery with 773,000 Adults 18-49. “Mira Quién Baila All Stars” was also the most popular primetime reality competition series, regardless of language, during the 2018/2019 season among U.S. Hispanic Total Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-49.
- Nuestra Belleza Latina – Behind its new tagline “Without sizes, without limits, and with no excuses,” season eleven of “Nuestra Belleza Latina” delivered 1.6 million Total Viewers 2+, 639,000 Adults 18-49 and 266,000 Adults 18-34 over the course of its 11- episode run. Airing from 8:00 – 10:00 p.m., “Nuestra Belleza Latina’s” finale on Sunday December 2, 2018 reached 5 million Total Viewers 2+, who tuned in to all or part of the broadcast and averaged its highest audience levels of the season with 2.2 million Total Viewers 2+, 900,000 Adults 18-49 and 389,000 Adults 18-34.
- Latin GRAMMY® Awards – Univision’s broadcast of the 19th Annual Latin GRAMMY® Awards on Friday, November 15, 2018 reached nearly 7 million Total Viewers 2+, who tuned-in to all or part of the live airing on the Univision network. The three-hour telecast delivered an average audience of 2.7 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.2 million Adults 18-49 and 511,000 Adults 18-34, positioning Univision ahead of CBS, NBC, The CW, Telemundo and all cable networks with Adults 18-34 for the entire night.
- UEFA Champions League - TUDN, previously known as Univision Deportes, delivered the most-watched season on any network or in any language during its inaugural season as the exclusive Spanish-language television partner. Nearly 23 million Total Viewers 2+ tuned in to all or part of its 91 UEFA Champions League (UCL) telecasts across the Univision linear portfolio, and delivered 60% of the UCL television audience in the U.S. For the season, matches that aired on Univision and simulcast on TUDN averaged 631,000 Total Viewers 2+ and 314,000 Adults 18-49.
- 81% percent of Univision’s primetime Adult 18-49 audience is exclusive – viewers that are not reached on any of the top-rated English-language networks.
- Univision has outperformed one or more of the English-language broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX) on three out of every five nights among Adults 18-34 (63% of the time) and on two out of every seven nights among Adults 18-49 (28% of the time).
- Delivering the highest percentage of live viewers during primetime among Adults 18-49 (89%) compared to the major English-language broadcast networks: ABC (55%), CBS (55%), NBC (56%), FOX (56%) and CW (47%). (Note: 55% average for the E-L broadcast networks).
- Delivering a higher concentration of key 18 to 49 viewers (42%) in primetime than the major English-language broadcast networks: ABC (29%), CBS (21%), NBC (28%), FOX (35%) and CW (40%).
- With the highest commercial audience retention in primetime among Adults 18-49 (94%) in comparison to the major English-language broadcast networks: ABC (80%), CBS (81%), NBC (81%), FOX (83%) and CW (79%). (Note: 81% average for the E-L broadcast networks).
- Attracting an audience that is 11 years younger than the average viewer of the major English-language broadcast networks in primetime (46 years old vs. 57 years old), by network – Univision (46 years old), ABC (58 years old), CBS (61 years old), NBC (58 years old), FOX (54 years old) and CW (51 years old).
- Univision ranks as the No. 1 network (broadcast or cable), regardless of language, during primetime with Hispanics among Total Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-49 as well as among Bilingual Hispanics in the key demographics of Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
Source: Nielsen, NPM (09/24/2018-09/01/2019, Live+7) and (09/02/2019-09/18/2019, Live+SD) Mon-Sat 8pm-11pm/Sun 7pm-11pm. Median Age based on Persons 2+. Total number of nights that Univision out-delivered the English-language broadcast networks based on Live+SD. Excludes Sports and based on (09/24/2018-09/01/2019) for Live Viewing (Live and Live+7) and Commercial Audience Retention (National Commercial Statistics, includes Direct Response, excludes PSAs and Promos, C3 and Live+3). Exclusive Audience based on a qualified audience of 6+ minutes and on the percent of viewers that did not watch any of the top 10 English-language networks during the week of (05/13/2019-05/19/2019). Reach based on fast cume, 1+ minute qualifier (includes short term and long term visitors). Entertainment Programming Ranker based on NPM-H, Mon-Sun 7am-2am, ad-supported networks, excludes repeats and sports. Bilingual based on HOH Hispanic Origin Language Spoken by the Person (Mostly Spanish, Mostly English, Spanish/English Equally). Non-Prime dayparts based on Early Morning (Mon-Fri 7am-10am), Daytime (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm), Early Fringe (Mon-Fri 4pm-7pm), Late Fringe (Mon-Sun 11pm-2am) and Total Day (Mon-Sun 7am-2am).
About Univision Communications Inc.
As the leading Hispanic media company in the U.S., Univision Communications Inc. entertains, informs and empowers U.S. Hispanics with news, sports and entertainment content across broadcast and cable television, audio and digital platforms. The company’s top-rated media portfolio includes the Univision and UniMás broadcast networks, as well as cable networks Galavisión and TUDN, the No. 1 Spanish-language sports network in the country. Locally, Univision owns or operates 65 television stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico. Additionally, Uforia, the Home of Latin Music, encompasses 58 owned or operated radio stations, a live event series and a robust digital audio footprint. The company’s prominent digital assets include Univision.com, streaming service Univision Now, the largest Hispanic influencer network and several top-rated apps. For more information, visit corporate.univision.com.