SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Momentum Cyber, the premier trusted advisor to the cybersecurity industry, today revealed the most significant trends that will drive strategic activity in the cybersecurity industry in 2019 and will be prevalent themes at the annual RSA Conference (RSAC) starting today in San Francisco.
Six key cybersecurity trends that Momentum Cyber predicts will drive M&A and IPO activity to new heights in 2019 include:
- Identity and Access Management (IAM) will continue its strong performance as perimeters continue to fade and we adopt more of a zero-trust approach to security
- Hybrid cloud computing utilization will continue its rise and drive demand for cloud-agnostic solutions to address security, data protection, and compliance
- Data centric security solutions will continue their rise as data discovery, management, and protection extends security beyond today’s evaporating perimeters
- IoT devices will continue to be targeted given their low level of security and exponential growth into our homes, cars, medical devices, IT networks, OT networks and critical infrastructure
- A volatile stock market and expanding buyer universe will make later stage companies view M&A as an even more attractive alternative to an IPO, further increasing M&A deal volume
- Security services providers will continue to increase market share as more organizations elect to use managed solutions to alleviate vendor fatigue and the growing cybersecurity skills shortage
“We see that as infrastructure becomes more ephemeral and lifts and shifts to the cloud, it will drive the need for continuous visibility and more of an identity, access, and data centric approach to security in the coming years,” said Dino Boukouris, Momentum Cyber founding member and director. “Focusing more on who you are and what data or applications you have the right to access helps alleviate some of the burden of the Sisyphean task of trying to make the ever-shifting networks impenetrable.”
“Cybersecurity was the most active technology sector in both private and public markets in 2018 and, based on these trends, we believe it will continue to be the space to watch in 2019,” added Eric McAlpine, Momentum Cyber co-founder and managing partner. “In fact, we expect transaction volume to surpass last year’s record-breaking level.”
Last week, Momentum Cyber published its second annual Cybersecurity Almanac for 2019 – the most comprehensive review of all strategic transactions and the firm’s proprietary insights on the industry. The 800-page Cybersecurity Almanac chronicles the key trends which made 2018 a record-breaking year for the industry including $15.5 billion in M&A volume and $6.2 billion in VC investments and lays out Momentum’s key predictions for 2019. The report is comprised of an in-depth analysis of over 3,500 cybersecurity companies across the globe, strategic deal activity including IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and private equity financings, and the market impact of news and events.
At RSAC, Momentum Cyber will be participating in and sponsoring several events, including:
- RSAC Innovator and Entrepreneur Seminar – a how-to for innovators and entrepreneurs that will feature Momentum Cyber chairman Dave DeWalt providing opening remarks on Monday, March 4, 9:00 a.m. at the Marriott Golden Gate A SEM
- Momentum Cyber and NightDragon Security Open House – Monday, March 4 (invite only)
- Team8’s Rethink Cyber SF 2019: Rethink Trust – an exclusive evening of cocktails and keynotes alongside CIOs and CISOs of the world’s leading companies on the security implications of delegating trust to machines
- RSAC Drinks & Hors d'Oeuvres hosted by Momentum Cyber, YL Ventures and TenEleven Ventures – Tuesday, March 5 (invite only)
- NightDragon & Momentum Cyber CEO & Dealmaker Dinner – Monday, March 4 (invite only)
For more information on these events, please contact Dino Boukouris, email@example.com.
About Momentum Cyber
Momentum Cyber is the premier trusted advisor to the cybersecurity industry providing bespoke high-impact advice combined with tailored, senior-level access. The firm was founded by world-class operators and advisors and caters to the unique needs of both earlier stage Founders, CEOs, & Boards as well as the complexity of later stage & public companies throughout their lifecycle – Incubation to Exit. Headquartered in San Francisco with operations globally, the founding team has closed over 250 transactions totaling over $250 billion in value. Momentum Cybersecurity Group, LLC conducts its M&A advisory services as an M&A Broker as defined by the SEC.