BELLEVUE, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Pokémon Company International today unveiled an extensive line of products inspired by the highly anticipated movie “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” from Warner Bros. Pictures, Legendary Entertainment, and The Pokémon Company, arriving in theaters on May 10, 2019, in North America. Before the movie, fans can look forward to new Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG) collections, exclusive merchandise from PokemonCenter.com, action figures and interactive plush from Wicked Cool Toys, construction sets from Mattel’s Mega Construx brand, and more.
All items in the line are inspired by the movie, which begins when ace detective Harry Goodman goes missing amid mysterious circumstances, prompting his son Tim to investigate what happened. Aiding in the investigation is Harry’s former Pokémon partner, Detective Pikachu: a wisecracking, adorable super-sleuth. Chasing clues together through Ryme City, where humans and Pokémon live side by side, they encounter a diverse cast of Pokémon characters and uncover a shocking plot that could destroy this peaceful coexistence. The movie is already generating significant buzz, with a widely viewed trailer and an all-star cast including Ryan Reynolds as the voice of the title character.
“Pokémon is a global entertainment franchise that has delighted its fans with video games, trading cards, animation, and soon, live-action movies with the upcoming ‘POKÉMON Detective Pikachu,’” said Colin Palmer, vice president of marketing for The Pokémon Company International. “The merchandise line we’ve developed for the Pokémon Trading Card Game, Pokémon Center, as well as the amazing selection of licensed toys and more celebrates this remarkable milestone for the brand and is sure to delight Pokémon fans of all ages.”
The Pokémon TCG line and select other merchandise inspired by “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” will be on display at The Pokémon Company International booth (#3049) at the American International Toy Fair, February 16–19 in New York City. The Pokémon TCG and licensed toys will also be on display at other global toy fairs beginning this month. Below are retail availability dates and more detailed product highlights from the line.
The Pokémon Trading Card Game
The iconic Pokémon TCG, which has shipped more than 23.6 billion cards to date, is debuting new booster packs for the launch of “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu.” These four-card boosters feature newly designed packaging based on the look and feel of Ryme City, and collectors and competitive Pokémon TCG players alike will enjoy looking through them and building their decks with Pokémon seen in the movie. In all, 26 new cards feature Pokémon such as Detective Pikachu and Charizard depicted in their CGI movie likenesses. The first wave of Pokémon TCG: Detective Pikachu products will be available beginning April 5, 2019, in North America. Highlights from the line include:
- Pokémon TCG: Detective Pikachu Case File—Contains one promo card featuring Detective Pikachu, one metallic coin inspired by Detective Pikachu, two Detective Pikachu booster packs, and one additional Pokémon TCG booster pack.
- Pokémon TCG: Detective Pikachu Charizard-GX Case File—Contains one foil promo card and one foil oversize card featuring Charizard-GX, four Detective Pikachu booster packs, and two additional Pokémon TCG booster packs.
- Pokémon TCG: Detective Pikachu Greninja-GX Case File—Contains one foil promo card and one foil oversize card featuring Greninja-GX, one pin featuring Greninja, five Detective Pikachu booster packs, and two additional Pokémon TCG booster packs.
- Pokémon TCG: Detective Pikachu Collector Chest—Contains seven Detective Pikachu booster packs, two additional Pokémon TCG booster packs, one collector’s pin inspired by Detective Pikachu, and one Pokémon notepad and sticker sheet, all in a sturdy metal case.
In advance of “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu,” fans can gear up with a wide selection of exclusive new apparel featuring iconography from the movie, as well as unique roleplay and lifestyle items, from PokemonCenter.com, the premier destination for official Pokémon merchandise in the US. The following items launch on April 2, 2019 with a second series of merchandise arriving in May:
- Detective Pikachu Deerstalker Hat—Fans will be able to roleplay as Detective Pikachu with this premium quality, tweed deerstalker hat with plush Pikachu ears.
- Hi-Hat Café Apparel and Accessories—Nodding to one of the most iconic locations in "POKÉMON Detective Pikachu," this collection offers various items donning the Hi-Hat Café’s unique logo, including t-shirts, a hoodie, diner mug, and 9FORTY baseball cap by New Era.
- Ryme City Police Department Apparel and Accessories—Sporting the Ryme City Police Department logo, this collection includes a polo shirt, 9FORTY baseball cap by New Era, mug, and pin.
- Ryme City 10-Year Anniversary Parade Apparel—Celebrating the 10-year anniversary of Ryme City as shown in the movie, this collection offers themed t-shirts for adults and children.
- Pin Set, Patch Set, Sticker Set, and Tin Sign Set—A variety of pins, patches, stickers, and tin signs featuring popular icons from the movie will be available in sets.
Wicked Cool Toys
Wicked Cool Toys, master toy licensee for the Pokémon brand, will offer a series of action figures, plush, and roleplay items that will be available at mass retailers beginning in April. Highlights from the Wicked Cool Toys line include:
Pokémon Detective Pikachu Movie Feature Plush
The Detective Pikachu Movie Feature Plush features two voice modes including “Detective Pikachu” and “Pikachu” for fans to interact with the character, just like in the movie. The Detective Pikachu feature plush also features over 14 responses, motorized ears and a detective’s hat.
Pokémon Detective Pikachu Movie Figure Line
Fans can explore Ryme City with 2-inch scale figures including Detective Pikachu, Psyduck, and Bulbasaur, and 3-inch scale articulated figures including Ludicolo, Mr. Mime, and more. Each figure is highly detailed and replicates the authentic look of the “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” movie.
Mattel’s Mega Construx™ Building Sets
Mattel’s Mega Construx brand will expand its popular line of Pokémon building sets with all-new offerings specifically for “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu.” The Pokémon Mega Construx line will feature characters and settings seen in the upcoming movie. The first wave of Pokémon Mega Construx items inspired by “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” will begin to hit retail shelves on March 25, 2019. Highlights from the Pokémon Mega Construx line include:
Mega Construx™ Detective Pikachu
Fans can begin the investigation when building this 232-piece, 6.25-inch Detective Pikachu figure. Give Detective Pikachu’s tail a flick and watch it spring into action. Then, a twist in the case! Turn Detective Pikachu’s head to bring his magnifying glass up to his eye to search for new clues. Detective Pikachu is articulated for resting or action poses.
Mega Construx™ Detective Pikachu Mr. Mime
Give Detective Pikachu the run around with this buildable Mr. Mime figure. Actions speak louder than words when fans make use of Mr. Mime’s highly articulated limbs and pose it on the buildable display plate.
Publishing and More
In addition to the Pokémon TCG, Pokémon Center items, and licensed toys, The Pokémon Company International has developed licensed apparel and home décor through a variety of partners that will be available at mass retailers closer to the movie’s release. There will also be a robust publishing program for “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu,” including a premium “making of” coffee table-style book from The Pokémon Company International’s in-house imprint, Pikachu Press, offering a behind-the-scenes look at the film production. Pokémon fans can look forward to more movie merchandise news in the coming months, follow @Pokemon on social media for the latest updates, and join in the #DetectivePikachu conversation online.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing and marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children’s entertainment properties in the world. For more information, visit www.pokemon.com.