NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Leading data science training provider Metis is celebrating five years of transforming data science education through bootcamps, corporate training, and live online courses and conferences.
In doing so, Metis is training a generation of data scientists who are beginning to make an impact on a wide range of industries that influence virtually every aspect of our lives. At Amazon, Ana-Elisa Gentle is building machine learning models to improve recruiting initiatives and better internal company processes. Gavin King at e-commerce retailer Zulily helps hone online shopping experience events, while Yong Cho at food delivery service Grubhub runs A/B testing and analytics for personalized marketing campaigns. At Radiant Solutions (a Maxar company), which is the world’s leading provider of high-resolution earth imagery, Alan Schoen is working on neural network systems. Michael Lai applies machine learning algorithms to vast amounts of complex data sets with the Philadelphia 76ers. At UT Southwestern Medical Center, internal medicine resident physician Sameh Saleh encourages other clinicians-in-training to seriously consider the value of a data science education in their lifelong medical endeavors, and Emily Barry is applying her data science training at Change Healthcare, one of the largest independent healthcare technology companies in the nation.
The list continues – throughout media, financial services, healthcare, retail and dozens of other industries. Metis alums populate top companies including Instagram, IBM, Spotify, Tumblr, Facebook, WeWork, Aetna, Blue Apron, BuzzFeed, Deloitte, Casper, Apple, Tinder, CapitalOne, Uber, and Nike. As the need for data scientists continues to grow – IBM predicts that job demand will grow by 28% by 2020 – these Metis alums are part of a growing corps of professionals who are making a mark across industries that gather and analyze data.
To view a video presenting highlights from the company’s first five years, visit Metis’s blog.
Metis opened its doors in 2013 with the aim of becoming a global leader in data science training and resources. Over the past five years, Metis has made data science education more accessible by opening bootcamp campuses in tech hub cities across the country: Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, and New York City. Courses taught include data literacy, analytics, Python, machine learning, Spark, and deep learning. Metis is also the first and only data science bootcamp approved to accept international M-1 visa students, and its New York City bootcamp is also approved to accept GI Bill® benefits for veterans.
Metis has also expanded beyond bootcamps to provide corporate training across the globe, including to Fortune 500 clients Wells Fargo and Intel. Its Corporate Training division creates customized learning programs for industries including financial services, technology, retail, oil and gas, legal, professional services, risk management, and media. In partnership with its corporate clients, Metis trains data scientists, analysts, engineers, and executives.
By the numbers:
- To date, Metis has taught over 2,000 students. With its expansion into live online courses, students can now learn part-time at Metis from anywhere in the world.
- Metis is committed to diversity in STEM and has awarded over $627,000 in scholarships to members of underrepresented groups, including women, veterans, and the LGBTQ community.
- 625 companies have attended Metis Career Days, at which bootcamp students present their capstone projects.
- Metis’s Demystifying Data Science conference is the largest live online data science conference in the world. Inaugurated in 2017, the conference has welcomed more than 50 speakers (including Beth Comstock, Change Maker & Author, Former Vice Chair of GE; Chris Albon, Co-Host/Co-Founder at Partially Derivative; and Kirk Borne, Principal Data Scientist at Booz Allen Hamilton) and over 8,000 attendees from 132 countries so far.
- Metis’s online community is made up of over 45,000 members. To join the community, visit Metis’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn pages, and sign up for its Slack community.
“Five years in, we’re proud to have become a pillar of the worldwide data science community," said Jason Moss, founder and president of Metis, “and even prouder of our alumni for the incredible work they’re accomplishing in data science roles across the globe.”
A video of highlights from Metis’s first five years is available on the company’s blog. To speak with a Metis spokesperson, please contact Michael Tague at 212-974-2785 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on all of Metis’s programs and offerings, visit www.thisismetis.com.
Metis is a leading provider of data science skills training for individuals and businesses. It delivers training programs designed by world-class industry practitioners and runs the industry’s only accredited intensive data science bootcamp. Metis, a d/b/a of Kaplan, Inc. is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education & Training (ACCET). Kaplan, Inc. is a leading global provider of educational and career services for individuals, schools, and businesses.