HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Every child in foster care deserves an advocate as they navigate a complicated legal system, and CASA of Collin County makes this happen by being the voice of abused and neglected children. The nonprofit was surprised today by dozens of North Texas-based Reliant employees with a donation of $100,000 for receiving the most public votes during Reliant Gives. The Rose and SIRE were also honored with a $20,000 and $10,000 donation, respectively, and celebrated with employees in Houston.
Reliant’s charitable giving program, Reliant Gives, launched in 2016 and puts the power of nonprofit advocacy in the hands of the public, inviting people to vote and direct the company’s charitable giving to three Texas charities nominated by employees.
“It takes an incredible amount of time, devotion and hard work to run a nonprofit and deliver on the mission they set forth,” said Elizabeth Killinger, president, Reliant. “Congratulations to CASA of Collin County for winning the public’s support and the top donation. At the heart of Reliant Gives is the desire to strengthen Texas nonprofits so they can continue to thrive and serve those in need within our communities.”
Final Voting Results:
- $100,000: Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Collin County in northeast Texas advocates for the best interest of children in foster care in and around Collin County. As the child’s official voice in court, CASA has worked tirelessly since 1994 to ensure the child receives necessary services and their case moves through the legal system as quickly as possible. The $100,000 donation will allow CASA to increase the number of trained volunteers to ensure that 100 percent of children placed in foster care in Collin County continue to have a voice.
- $20,000: Since 1986, The Rose has reduced deaths from breast cancer by providing access to screening, diagnostics and treatment services to more than 500,000 women, regardless of their ability to pay. The Rose is now the leading nonprofit focused on breast health care in southeast Texas.
- $10,000: SIRE (Self-Improvement Thru Riding Education) is a Houston-based organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people with special needs through therapeutic horsemanship activities, therapies and educational outreach. SIRE serves more than 285 clients weekly with over 25 horses at three sites across the greater Houston area.
The Reliant Gives program has now donated $720,000 to 18 deserving nonprofits. This round of Reliant Gives coincides with the company’s annual positiveNRG Week, during which Reliant employees volunteered their time with the following 13 nonprofits that are making a difference across the state:
- Dress for Success Houston
- Friends for Life
- Houston Food Bank
- Houston Wilderness Inc.
- Junior Achievement of Southeast Texas
- Kids’ Meals
- March of Dimes
- Metrocrest Services
- Operation Kindness
- Urban Harvest
- YMCA of Greater Houston - Harriet & Joe Foster Family Center
About Reliant, an NRG company
Reliant powers, protects and simplifies life by bringing electricity, smart energy solutions, residential services and security to homes and businesses across Texas. Serving customers and the community is at the core of what we do. Reliant is part of NRG Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NRG), a Fortune 500 company that creates value through best-in-class operations and reliable and efficient electric generation. Backed by a diverse portfolio of power generating facilities, NRG’s retail companies, including Reliant, power almost 3 million customers in 10 states and the District of Columbia. NRG retail brands collectively are the largest providers of electricity in Texas. For more information about Reliant, please visit reliant.com and connect with Reliant on Facebook at facebook.com/reliantenergy and Twitter @reliantenergy. PUCT Certificate #10007.