PITTSBURGH--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PPG (NYSE:PPG) today announced that the PPG Foundation invested $88,000 in grants to support national science education initiatives in 2017. The grants highlight PPG’s commitment to increasing educational opportunities for youth in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
The grant recipients and funding purposes were:
- Chemical Educational Foundation: $25,000 for three science education programs for students in kindergarten through eighth grade and their educators nationwide.
- National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering: $10,000 in financial and educational support for young African American, Latino and American Indian women and men actively pursuing an engineering degree.
- Science Buddies: $13,000 for free resources for hands-on science inquiry for students, teachers and parents, and the "Done in a Day" volunteer project that engaged PPG scientists in the development of science fair project ideas for students in kindergarten through 12th grade.
- Society for Science & the Public: $15,000 for the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair Education Outreach Day Program, which gives students and teachers a chance to experience science firsthand.
- Twin Cities Public Television: $25,000 to support national programming of the “SCIGIRLS®” PBS KIDS television show and website for young people ages 8-12.
“We are very pleased to support these organizations as they introduce students across the U.S. to STEM through engaging, hands-on education,” said Sue Sloan, executive director, the PPG Foundation. “Ensuring this next generation of innovators is equipped with the skills and knowledge needed to be successful in areas like advanced manufacturing is a priority for PPG and the PPG Foundation.”
PPG and the PPG Foundation aim to bring color and brightness to PPG communities around the world. We invested more than $10.5 million in 2017, supporting hundreds of community organizations across 29 countries. By investing in educational opportunities, we help grow today’s skilled workforce and develop tomorrow’s innovators in fields related to coatings and manufacturing. Plus, we empower PPG employees to multiply their impact for causes that are important to them by supporting their volunteer efforts and charitable giving. Learn more at www.ppgcommunities.com and follow @PPG_Communities on Twitter.
PPG: WE PROTECT AND BEAUTIFY THE WORLD™
At PPG (NYSE:PPG), we work every day to develop and deliver the paints, coatings and materials that our customers have trusted for more than 130 years. Through dedication and creativity, we solve our customers’ biggest challenges, collaborating closely to find the right path forward. With headquarters in Pittsburgh, we operate and innovate in more than 70 countries and reported net sales of $14.8 billion in 2017. We serve customers in construction, consumer products, industrial and transportation markets and aftermarkets. To learn more, visit www.ppg.com.
We protect and beautify the world is a trademark and the PPG
Logo is a registered trademark of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.
SciGirls is a registered trademark of Twin Cities Public Television, Inc.